General Learning 3D

Jerryzman

Please tell me if there is a thread for this, and I will go there. I am learning 3D. I watched an interesting video on rates vs travel adjust. Michael Wargo said that expo is essential for 3D flying. How do I decide how much expo to use? Is it trail and error?

Tony

Staff member
I can't think of another thread like this (that's not to say it's not here lol) so we will make this one "the" thread.

Expo, it's pretty much trial and error, but I'm not sure why they would say that. 3D is about pretty aggressive stick movements so you will actually be going into the faster zones of the expo more than it taming the helicopter. If you want to use it, try about 20% but don't expect much of anything to really be easier. 3D is about muscle memory and if you don't have a simulator, get one. It will save you a LOT of money in the future.

What maneuvers do you have down now? What are you working on?

Jerryzman

Tony, thanks for the response. Maybe I should have mentioned it's a plane not a heli. I gave up on helicopters a while ago. Anyway, I'm starting out with the basics, a Harrier. Michael Wargo seems to feel that at maximum deflection, with no expo, your plane will fly erratic. So I think he feels that expo will smooth out the maneuvers. Not sure. It's like my Rare Bear. At 100mph, any stick movement you can see it react. I gave a little down elevator, very little, and nearly put it in the dirt.

Tony

Staff member
I have been in heli's so long that I automatically go to them lmao.

Okay, airplane 3D! Harriers are a great first move after things like inverted flying and knife edges. Harriers make you really control the plane because it's quite likely that you are going to get wing rock. Not to mention having to keep the perfect air speed and elevator to keep it in the air. It's great training.

On a plane, yes, I would definitely add expo. I would start at about 20-25% on all controls. The reason is what I mentioned above, wing rock. You are going to have a tendency to over correct and as long as you don't move past half way, expo will help you to NOT over correct by slowing the stick movements down. Thus slowing down the reaction and or over-reaction to the rock.

I hope this answers your question. If not, let me know.

Smoggie

I use a lot of expo on my 3D planes, over 50% in most cases on the high rates settings. If you dont use bags of expo the plane will be super twitchy at higher speeds.

Rudder control is really important if flying 3D. Many sports flyers hardly use rudder at all, sometimes only to steer on the ground, so practice using rudder. Mr Wargo did a series of videos about learning 3D, they might be a good started but very important is getting the right plane (something lightweight, preferably quite crash resistant, and purpose designed for 3D) then it's just practice and more practice.

Smoggie

PS.. or you could cheat shamelessly and get a flight stabiliser with 'auto hover'.. like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerryzman

Thanks guys. I bought a foamie to practice with as well as RF7. Don.t want to risk my Sebart and PA planes. Gonna try your suggestions tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Top Bottom