Lawnmower Seat Adhesive

bigone5500

Has anyone on here ever had any real luck on gluing their seat back on their lawnmower? I have an Exmark zero turn and the seat has completely came off the base. I can't find any solid evidence that there is anything worth using. The seat is foam with a polyurethane or vinyl covering. The seat base is plastic, probably polypropylene. It's hard to find a good adhesive to bind some materials. This being a mower and undergoing the stresses of being sat on and the heat of summer in Louisiana, the adhesive needs to be pretty good. I have thought of black silicone but it's normally a rubbery material that tears easily. I don't want to try it only to have it fail and leave a complete mess behind.

Tony

Staff member
Silicone wont 'do it, it will just rip like you mention. You need a strong contact adhesive. Something that you put on both sides and wait for it to get tacky, then when you touch the two together, they never come apart. You only get one shot, but it will not come apart lol. Something like the stuff linked below. Expensive? yup. But should do the job I think.

3m Adhesive, Contact, 1 Qt 1357 | Zoro.com

Tony

Staff member
I think it's better than silicone. And it says it bonds with plastic and other materials. It's what I would start with just know that it may not work. Or it may hold better than anything else lol. I just don't know.

tntpoof

I would use 3M marine adhesive..wont break the bank and will stay flexable Ive used it many times in my past work with many different surfaces

Tony

Staff member
It doesn't need to be flexible, it needs to be strong. Hence why I said to use contact adhesive.

Tony

Staff member
It's securing the seat cover to the seat base. The base is solid, the seat cover needs to flex, which is why the seat cover is flexible. But whatever, you do it your way and when it fails, try the contact adhesive and thank me later.

Top Bottom