500 Landing Gear Angle And Fbl Unit

Fastfreddie

So after a year of flying helis that are already set up to fly like my blade 330x I’ve made the purchase of a used goblin 500 sport. It is the original combo package and I’m told only has 5 flights on. This heli came with the original flipper type landing gear and at my field we only have grass so I wanted to keep it off the ground and ordered the upgraded landing gear that will raise the noise off the ground.

my question is after I change the stance of the heli will I need to change or reconfigure the ikon fbl unit or will it be ok since the previous owner has already set everything up and says its good to go just bnf?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Fastfreddie. If I was you, I would go through the whole heli and make sure every bolt has lock tite on it. Make sure every part is working and moving properly. I would also reconfigure the FBL unit. His all good to go vs yours could be totally different. I would spend the extra time to make sure. If something goes wrong when you go to fly it...your not going to be a happy camper. Parts for a 500 and up isn't cheap especially for a Goblin.

Fastfreddie

Yes I plan on doing a thorough check of everything I’m not just going to take someone’s word that I don’t know but one issue I have is that I didn’t receive the cord to plug the ikon into my cp and I can’t seem to find just the wire online. Does anyone have a link to where I might be able to purchase just the cord?

Fastfreddie

I don’t have any cables but the one I’m looking for is one that connects the ikon to your computer for programming. Thanks D.O.G I’ll check out that link

Tony

Staff member
Fran is correct, it is just a Micro USB cable. Make sure you are not using a charge only cable since those are missing the tx and rx wires. You can pick up those cables at any walmart, bestbuy, or the like.

Smoggie

my question is after I change the stance of the heli will I need to change or reconfigure the ikon fbl unit or will it be ok since the previous owner has already set everything up and says its good to go just bnf?

First congratulations on your the purchase of your new heli. The Goblin 500 is really nice, it's a good compromise between the flying characteristics of a big heli and the single pack convenience of a smaller one.

I dont think anyone tackled the specific question I quoted. The answer is 'No' the tilt of the heli due to it's landing gear is irrelevant to FBL setup, so changing the LG alone does not require you to re-visit the FBL setup in any way. You also do not need to take any special measures to level the heli when you power it up as some people seem to think.

Fastfreddie

Thanks guys. I just want to make sure everything goes good on my first flight with this heli. I called the guy I bought it from today and he told me that Loctite was used on every bolt except the ones for the servo mount Assembly. His logic was that since it was made out of a composite material he was afraid if he needed to remove anything that he wouldn’t be able to heat up the parts. I didn’t ask what strength tread locker he used but I never needed to heat up a part for the blue or medium strength.
So I’ll have to get them bolts loctited.

I tend to believe everything he has told me about this heli since he seemed to have keep meticulous records right down to the dates the battery was charged and how many mah’s it took.
Although I received three batteries two of which are new they are only 3300mah which I know are the smallest recommended size so I may get bigger for longer flight times but the previous owner said he was going for speed hence the lightest batteries he could get.

all and all I am really excited to take this heli to the field but also nervous at the same time being this thing is twice as big then anything I’ve flown before and many times more expensive lol.
I know most of you guys are in another League and this thing is small compared to the 600 and 700 class but looking at it sit here I realize the damage it could do if I’m not careful so safety is of the most essence here.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
We all wish you the best with your new addition. When you do make your first flight, Please make a video of it. We would love to see it in action and the sound of a Goblin is just awesome :).

Fastfreddie

I’m having trouble binding I plugged in a spektrum bind plug to the ikon power up and only one of the satellites will blink the other is solid light And I keep getting binding failure. Any suggestions?

Tony

Staff member
You can try swapping the satellites around in the ports, or you can try binding them one at a time. I have had this happen as well, and it just takes trial and error to correct the issue.

Fastfreddie

That worked Tony so I got both sat binded I hooked up the ikon to my pc and ran though the setup wizard and everything was going good the swashplate was moving correctly and then I got to the part where it said select sp type and after I selected the right one the sp just froze and now I can’t get it to do anything. Ive unplugged everything plugged back and nothing

When I go into advance settings and change the sp type to the wrong sp type I get movement but of course the wrong movement and when I select the right sp nothing

Last edited:

Fastfreddie

Ok ok ok don’t ask what I did but everything is working great with one exception with channels 1,2,4 the servos reach max throw at about half of the tx stick travel

Last edited:

Fastfreddie

Lol my abbreviation for swashplate. How do I get my radio and servos throw calibrated. I just have to move the tx sticks a little more than a quarter way and my servos are at full throw

Tony

Staff member
My apologies for the delay. You will need to go into your swashplate menu to lower the throw (overall). If you need to calibrate them together, then you can use the menu under servos to adjust the throw on each servo. Swashplate menu is for cyclic and collective only, so there are always multiple servos that are being changed at one time.

Fastfreddie

Took my maiden flight today everything works great. Got in a second flight before sunset and she flys beautifully. Felt sluggish in beginner mode going to bump it up to sport mode for the next flight. Much appreciated tried to load a 20 sec video but it was to big

Tony

Staff member
Sport is where I always put them when doing that maiden. Expo is not as high in that setting.

Awesome that you had two successful flights.

Smoggie

PS do not apply normal Loctite to screws that go into plastic. Standard Loctite is for metal only and won’t work in plastic and in fact might attack the plastic over time.
Generally screws into plastic don’t come loose as the plastic grips the screw, but for very critical screws you can use CA (Superglue) very sparingly

Top Bottom