1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

General KFm Theory

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by Tony, May 16, 2012.

< New Project Section | New Project Section >
  1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Here are a few PDF's of the KFm theory and why the creator thinks they work better than a standard airfoil. These are not my design but I thought you would enjoy knowing why I chose the wing I did on the RCH Trainer and why you may want to try it out on your next plane. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Not sure why i didn't see this post before, a subject that I've had much lively debate about on other forums! The claims made for KF airfpoild are to be blunt nonsense. I actually shared a few emails with the inventor Dick Kline a few years ago, he's a really nice guy but knows 'zip all' about aerodynamics. There has been quite a bit of testing in wind tunnels of the KF airfoils and without exception the results are terrible!

Having said that, for a powered trainer it's not a bad choice, mainly because it's easy to build and strong. The efficiency is very poor but that's not important for a powered trainer.

I actually did some testing years ago with my Elf discus launch glider to highlight the differences in lift/drag performance. I build a KFm wing that was exact same shape as the stock Elf glider wing and weighed the same. Flight time was a little over half (actually 60%) of the standard wing. The best i got with the KFm wing was 46 seconds which actually isn't too bad and at the time I think was a record for a KFm discus glider... but it was still miles short of what the standard wing can do.

I dredged these photos up:

Standard Elf:
    [​IMG]

KFm Elf:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  3. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Yea, this post is about 5 years old and the whole dynamic of KFM is based on pockets of air. When it steps off, it was believed that pocket of air had less resistance with air flowing over it than if it was flowing over a solid air foil. Same thing with a truck bed with the tailgate open or closed. Open there was no pocket and closed there was and it was proven that closed give better gas mileage.

With that said though, the ONLY reason I still make the KFM is because they are easy to make. Much easier than a standard airfoil. But I am looking to make an actual airfoil wing for the trainer and Edge 540 and get away from the KFM. I absolutely can't stand the way the KFM looks. Blocky as hell and just not the right fit. But again, they do work for now.

4. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I've hear the truck tailgate comparison before. Trouble is it's not at all valid for airfoils because a conventional airfoil is a streamline shape, a truck is anything but streamline. If you want an idea what a 'tailgate' sticking up does for a streamline airfoil get a glider with spoilers and see what they do for the glide slope when you deploy them (they are called spoilers for a reason!)

I have some videos of the two versions of my Elf glider which make the difference in performance in the real world painfully obvious if anyone wants to see them, the video quality is crap as it's an old keychain cam but it gets the point over.

But as I said, for a trainer or sports power model this really isn't a consideration because efficiency is very low down the priority list.

5. Tony

Blog Posts:
    The truck tail gate was for the KFM and what they said made it superior to an airfoil. Allowing the air to ride on another cushion of air. Like I said though, the KFM is played out, this post is 5 years old and it's time for a new design.

6. Oldensly

Oldensly Member

Blog Posts:
    RETARED
    Hello all: I personally like the Armin wing. It is strong and smooth and no harder to build than any other. Just my 2cents worth.

7. Tony

Blog Posts:
    I have thought about updating the wing on this plane, but figured stick with what is working. Maybe there is a V4 coming lmao.

8. Oldensly

Oldensly Member

Blog Posts:
    RETARED
    Tony: I will try to get some decent pictures as I build the Armin wing for my RC Help trainer,, Bob

9. Tony

Blog Posts:
    That would be awesome Bob! Thank you!

10. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Blog Posts:
    Soldier
    Check out how flute test does their wings. They have a full airfoil design that vet simple to assemble.

< New Project Section | New Project Section >