Just Wondering......

Heliman450

Hi all,

I've been wondering about the future of my RC involvement. I'm going through a major re-design and rebuild of my Velos Rotors 880 after an unfortunate incident where allowing it to crash seemed the only option in the circumstances. My local supplier of big toys (Hugo) was all for righting it off in favour of something new but I couldn't turn my back on such an amazing piece of kit so the story continues on that in a thread all its own.

I've already got more flying machines than I can use in one day (I'm working on that, too). However, I can't stop thinking about a truck to get into crawling for when I don't (or can't) fly. After watching a YouTube video from a guy trying to tow a real Land Rover Defender with one I am seriously considering branching out in this direction. Here's a link to the object of my desire:

Any feedback positive (or negative) appreciated.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Heliman. Very nice choice. With the lockdown and all the BS going on with the FFA a while back and present, I've noticed that a lot of flyers turn to the ground & pounders plus crawlers. Matter of fact The Flying Hippo and crew got crawlers made a course and have been having fun ever since. Won't replace the excitement of flying but still any RC vehicle is fun :). I have a 2wd stadium truck with FPV that I take out for a change of pace.

Heliman450

Hi D.O.G., I also admit that the BS surrounding rules has hit me and other club members, too. I can't say that I get excitement from flying but I'm certainly hooked on the building as though it's a drug. I could build every day, all day but don't know where I'd put everything! Even though it's big, the Jeep Renegade would fit nicely in my hobby van :hdbng:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi Heliman450, the nice thing about this hobby is the ability and freedom to think big, Your Velos Rotors 880 is only a temp set back. Rebuilding her regardless of the time frame is half the fun and enjoyment. The full satisfaction of seeing her conquer the sky again just fills you with joy. :peaceful:

Heliman450

Hi James, I agree. It's just become a bit frustrating but I understand why the delay is happening. It's OK by me.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah, I've been having a part in stock delays too. It sucks but that's what happens when you have a break in the supply line.

Heliman450

Hi D.O.G, no it's a friend going through whatever he needs to after the loss of his father. I think he probably just wants to go through it without thinking about anything else.

He just needs time.

Heliman450

Hi all, tomorrow's the big day and hopefully I'll be taking a big step forward with the ex Velos Rotors 880 as I'm meeting up with my colleague to update the frame designs before cutting the carbon fibre versions. I've got no idea of the cost as they are up to 600mm long and 3mm thick. I understand from the man in charge of driving the milling machine that this size can be bought by weight as opposed to standard sheets. As the concept design has changed somewhat, there may a be need for one more plywood version to finalise things.

I've got everything needed to get it into the air (and back down safely :bellyroll:) apart from the frames so I'm looking forward to the build process.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi all, tomorrow's the big day and hopefully I'll be taking a big step forward with the ex Velos Rotors 880 as I'm meeting up with my colleague to update the frame designs before cutting the carbon fibre versions. I've got no idea of the cost as they are up to 600mm long and 3mm thick. I understand from the man in charge of driving the milling machine that this size can be bought by weight as opposed to standard sheets. As the concept design has changed somewhat, there may a be need for one more plywood version to finalise things.

I've got everything needed to get it into the air (and back down safely :bellyroll:) apart from the frames so I'm looking forward to the build process.
The sky's the limit my friend, go for it :arms:

Heliman450

We got a little off topic here so here's a link to the actual thread:

Top Bottom