Just saying hi.

Ron B

I flew control line and rc over 40 yrs. ago and am now in forced retirement with a need to get into a hobby.
I got into an rc site on youtube and ended up on flitetest web site. It looked like I could get back into rc with foamies on a budget that I could afford as it is a lot cheaper now than our planes and equipt. was back then.
I built the ft Old Fogey Which I thought was appropriate (one old fogey flying another). The rear of the fuslage came out crooked and would not fly so I built an ft flyer. Not to good of luck there. I don't have anyone to help me get back into flying so I am doing it on my own and it is tough.
Today I downloaded a flight sim. and my hk 6 won't hook up to a sim so I am using the key pad for now and am trying to talk the wife into a controller to work with it.
I live in Bristow OK and will update the profile as soon as I can figure it out.

Tony

Staff member
Bristow huh? You are right up the turnpike from me, about 100 miles. I wish I still had my old controller that I used to use with those cheaper sims, but sold it a couple years back when I purchased RealFlight. But you are doing the right thing with getting the simulator. Get your fingers back then let the planes rip in the sky. If there is anything that we can do to help out, all you have to do is ask.

And don't forget, I have a trainer in the store that you can download. It's just a basic high wing trainer, but is super easy to fly. And the build is not that bad either. Just click on teh Store tab at teh top of the page, then scroll down to download the plans.

:welcome1:

Gerald

Welcome Ron, I have built 2 of the Old Fogeys and they fly quite well. Working with the foam board takes some practice, keep at it!
Are you using Dollar Tree foam board?
Any questions fire away :)

Ron B

Gerald
Yep I am using the dollar tree foam and both planes were from plans. I think I have the problem repaired on the old fogey but weather has not let me try to fly it again. I just got the ft flyer repaired but haven't been able to fly it either.
I am doing quite well on the sim. with the key pad and looking forward to getting my controller.

Gerald

Gerald
Yep I am using the dollar tree foam and both planes were from plans. I think I have the problem repaired on the old fogey but weather has not let me try to fly it again. I just got the ft flyer repaired but haven't been able to fly it either.
I am doing quite well on the sim. with the key pad and looking forward to getting my controller.

Ditto on the weather! It's been windy and frozen for weeks. FYI make sure of your COG on that fogey, little nose heavy is better and low rates on the throws, It likes to balloon up with little up elevator input! Watch my video on here you'll see what I mean!

Ron B

Gerald
My cg's were spot on on both the old fogey and the flyer. flew in near no wind conditions. Both using the same power pod with the same equipt. and they had landing gear. Both would lift off and anywhere from 3 to 6 ft. would just roll and dive.
I am using an emax gt2205-33 at 23g and 500gr thrust using an 8 x 4 prop it is a 1260kv motor. My fogey weights in at 485g - 17oz. and the flyer came in at 369gr.- 13oz. After some sim time I going to try them again and see if I may need more power. My thrust to weight ratio may not be enough. I am going to do some hand launch glides and see how they both do as I have a fair slope near here to get a bit of longer glide from.

Gerald

Gerald
My cg's were spot on on both the old fogey and the flyer. flew in near no wind conditions. Both using the same power pod with the same equipt. and they had landing gear. Both would lift off and anywhere from 3 to 6 ft. would just roll and dive.
I am using an emax gt2205-33 at 23g and 500gr thrust using an 8 x 4 prop it is a 1260kv motor. My fogey weights in at 485g - 17oz. and the flyer came in at 369gr.- 13oz. After some sim time I going to try them again and see if I may need more power. My thrust to weight ratio may not be enough. I am going to do some hand launch glides and see how they both do as I have a fair slope near here to get a bit of longer glide from.

Ron, I just checked the weight of my 2 Fogeys Chevron as I call it, is 462 grams 16.25 oz and Scrapper is 528 grams 18.6 oz. Scrapper has a larger wing and is made of scrap foam board parts. Chevron has a Grayson 3D combo in it 1100kv and 8x4 slow prop, I run a 500ma 3s battery 11.1v. Scrapper has a Turnigy D2830/11 1000kv and 9x4 slow prop and a 1500mah 3s 11.1 volt battery. I think your weight is good and the motor should be ok if you are using a 3s 11.1v battery. I am not sure what would cause that reaction? Do you have your rudder connected to your alerion chanel? I do and it makes it easier to control the throtle. I crashed my RCH trainer on take off because of torque on take off I countered it with the rudder and well she rolled and dove to the ground. It is a mystery!

Ron B

Yeah I am using a 3s 1300mh and I have my rudder on alieron side so I would get used to right stick as a step up to actually using alierons in the future.
I may need to move batt. very slightly forward to make both ever so slightly nose heavy instead of neutral balance.

Ron B

I have rcdp sim. and was trying the exceed plane and man it was tricky. Acouple of take offs I held the elevator down on on the keypad like I would on the trainer and it just lifted slightly and tipped left and crashed just like my flyer did so I am wondering if I am putting to much elevator in at at time and not allowing enough lift and need to gain altitude in steps.

Gerald

That could be, stall on take off is common with too much elevator, need time to build speed and gain lift, and the flyer has a short wing span and it has no air foil, which makes that worse.

Top Bottom