700 Just ordered my Trex 700E

Tomhintz

I just placed the order for my Align T-REX 700E PRO DFC Flybarless Helicopter Kit w/800MX & Carbon Blades (AGNRH70E09X) and all the fixings, servos etc. I have a Spektrum AR7200bx for it and a Castle 20amp BEC.
So, if anyone has any build tips or things o look for, bring them one. This thing will be here by 10am tomorrow and I want to fly it on Sunday (big maybe here, not going to rush it) if it goes well. I had my Trex 550E hovering in less than two days and that is flying great.
I think I am hung up on Align "E" models!!

Derek

Just take your time with the build and do it right. Clean the screws and all with alcohol to remove any factory oil. Other than that...have fun with it!

Tomhintz

I really do take my time. I am getting used to building these things so it just goes a bit faster now an I get up at 2am every day so I have quite a long time to work each day. I am using today to go over my 550E checking for loose stuff and lubing it up so that is ready for the weekend if I get out flying before the 700E is ready. I must have close to 100 flights on the 550E and no problems, not parts breakage or anything so I want to continue the trend!

Derek

that sounds fantastic, Tom! 100 flights on a bird, and no issues...outstanding!!! Good luck with the 700!

pvolcko

DFC probably has direct to swash servo linkages so the only thing I had to mention is a non-issue. On the V2 700E there were bellcranks and push-pull style servo to swash linkages which you need to take the extra time to setup right. Build it up, take some pics along the way. Don't think I've seen a build on the new 700's yet.

Last edited:

Tomhintz

I will be doing a review on this 700 but will take photos when I get it done. Everything is going well and it builds just like the 550E did because Align has this figured out! It's more than half way done and I have set all of today aside so I hope to get in a hover or two later today if I don't run into any snags. Of course I went to get some aluminum servo arms (cyclic) and left that hobby shop with a brand new Carbon Z Cub (Eflite) that everybody who has flown one raves about. I am officially tapped out! Back to the 700 build, more later.

Derek

Thats great that your 700 build is going so well. I look forward to seeing the pictures and, of course, the flight video.

I have 3 YouTube buddies that have the Carbon Z Cub and they love it. Have fun with it!!!

Tomhintz

I just finished the Cub so will try to get both of these things in my car - little one.
We have tried shooting video of my 550E bu I since I stopped hovering and now am into "big air" the guys are having trouble following it. I'll keep taking the camera and we'll keep shooting. Sooner or later we will get enough. I have to start bringing my flying down and closer which should help the camera man as well. The first flight or two for the 700 though is going up and out of danger until I get a little comfortable with it.
Just hovering in the yard the tail wants to wander to the right. Not sure if that was the big winds today or not so parked it and we will work on it at the field tomorrow with more experienced help on hand.
Now, I am going to catch a shower, ge something to eat and get soe sleep. This has been a marathon today from 2am till now but the 700 ios finished and I built the Cub and have that all ready to go as well.

Tomhintz

Just wanted to let you al know that I have lots of pictures and video on my RC site at FlyingRC.net where all of this stuff eventually winds up.
Am packing up to go to the field to maiden the 700E and my new Carbon Z Cub.
One thing I know is going to get changed on the 700e is the cowl mount posts/clips. If anyone knows of a good, easier/faster alterrnative to those dam little clips, let me know!

pvolcko

I use a set of RCBooya canopy posts on the rear connection and keep the stock posts on the front. The rears lock everything in pretty well and the fronts are tight enough I have no fear of it coming loose and flipping up into the rotor.

Tomhintz

Thanks, I will check out the RCBooya stuff when that time comes.
I got to fly the 700 twice, had the tail correction backwards in the BeastX so it spun when I lifted off the first time but I got it back down without damage, we corrected that in the BeastX and put it back in the air. Flew nice but had a nagging drift to the tail that I could not figure out. IT had no impact I forward flight but sometimes I would have to hold rudder at a hover to keep it straight, sometimes I locked in on its own.
Later I took it up again with a bit more gain and the tail seemed perfect so I started thrashing it some. then during a big air left hander the tail let go a speed, maybe 100 feet up. I wasn't sure what had happened other than I didn;t have any tail control and t was spinning so I rememberd to hit throttle hold and I had some control for my first ever autorotation. I did a fairly lousy job of autorotating but did manage to keep it upright and the guys think I saved a bunch of damage.
I had left he four bolts that grip the tail boom at the rear of the fuselage loose. I loosened them to get the single lock bolt in when I noticed that the hole in the boom was just a tick out of alignment and apparently forgot to tighten them up again. the boom was working back and forth in gear box housing until it snapped off and the tail boom was hanging by the struts but totally disengaged from the drive. Damage appears to be the landing gear, tail boom naturally but everything in the boom seems fine, the DFC blade arms both snapped the plastic ends and the elevator servo apparently stripped is gears. Main blades are fine and that I all the damage we can find. I may tear it down today to check more closely.
Later flying my 550 I flat got disoriented when I did a back flip lower than I ever have before and it kind of rolled out of the flip which surprised me and I got messed up on the collective that stuffed it into the ground. I know the tail boom and main blades are gone on that one, also the DFC arm ends are broke. The drive gear is a couple teeth ripped off and I have to take the main shaft and feather shafts out to check them.
All in all, a dud day. The 700 flew nice until my brain fade with the bolts shot it down. I got too brave too soon with the 550 but the new Cub flew hands off on take off. I literally climbed out to about 10 feet up and let go of the sticks. It was pretty windy so I am saving all of the trim setup on the Cub for another day. Considering everything else that happened yesterday I was NOT going fly the Cub again!

Tomhintz

Just finished tearing down the 700 and the damage is: tail boom itself, everything else on and in the boom is fine (struts held the boom by themselves down to the ground and through the crash!), landing gear struts, DFC arm ends (2) elevator servo gears. There is some cracking and a bit of lost finish on the canopy but I can lie with that until I get better at flying and paying attention during assembly.
The 550 looks to have lost the landing gear, main drive gear, front tail drive gears, rotor blades, tail rotor blades and the tail boom itself, again everything on it aside from the tail blades lived through it fine. Everything else appears to be OK. I am going to pull and check the main rotor shaft and feathering shaft but so far they look straight but they get checked on glass anyway.

pvolcko

Ouch, rough day. Kind of surprised the 700's blades made it through but managed to strip out some servo gears. Make sure to check the feathering and main shafts on that. Have to image something had to torque a bit if a servo stripped out.

Tomhintz

I got the 700 back together, hovered it in the yard a couple times without incident and then took it to the field yesterday, hopefully for the actual no-crash maiden flights.
That all went well. Go 4 flights on the 700 and the only issue is me getting used to the collective power this thing has! I am slowly getting better at hitting neutral collective when I do rolls and stuff but the 700 needs even more precision so lots of practice to ensue.
We got so decent video of the first flight and that will go into the review that I should have done in a day or so. I even found the clip of the spin the first day and am including that in the review video. I was stupid so might as well own up to it. The good news is that I love the 700and can't wait to get to the field again. We have snow coming the next few days so this part of the world will no doubt shut down for a while.

Stay tuned

yardner

Thanks for sharing Tom...Nice video.
Glad to see that you got it back in the air.

I'm just like you, Buy, Build, Fly, Repair and Repeat. :twitch:

Tomhintz

I fully plan on not crashing again for a long time. I put a ton of flights on the 550E without a crash then that one day I put both helis in. I do learn eventually and hope this is one of those breakthrough moments. I have a new plane setup coming today (if it gets here before the snow storm) and will probably have the weekend to build that if the field is snowed in. I have the 700 on the bench now to go over, lube it up check for loose stuff and then will do the 550 to clear the decks for the plane. And so it goes!

Top Bottom