General Just ordered Hobbyzone Champ

Stambo

That's right, I did it. I just ordered a Hobbyzone Champ.
It was an impulse buy, I had been looking at small planes for a while and saw this in a New Zealand online store.
I have seen several reviews of this all saying it is a good beginner plane.
Looks like a good place to start for a first plane (I hope). :)

I have seen them on Chinese and US web sites for $89US and by the time you convert that to $NZ and add freight to NZ I figure the $145NZ price tag for a RTF plane is not terrible.
And I don't have to wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to arrive.
I should have it today or tomorrow.
Then I just have to wait for a low wind day to get it in the air. :)

Stambo

I can fly a plane!!!. Landing may be an issue though. :)
Here is the picture of my little Champ, I can't believe how light it is.
I took it up for a flight just on dusk so the video I am uploading at the moment is not the best quality.
But it flies, it sort of landed and it is still in one piece ready to go again tomorrow. :)
I am happy.
I will add the video as soon as it is finished uploading.

P1060236.jpg

P1060236.jpg

EyeStation

Good flight there.
I picked one of these up about 2.5 weeks ago. I went to an AMA sanctioned field after work to see if I could put the 300x up in a bigger area. When I got into the parking lot I saw the sign saying "Field Closed". I parked and took a walk out to see what the runway looked like and to check if there were any heli pads available. When looking across the spectator area, I saw a flash of orange next to a melting snow drift, and just under a 20 ft. tree. I walked over and to my surprise, A Champ is free from its perch. Apparently someone flew it into the treetop and could not retrieve it.
A bit of a nick on the right side wing front and the right Elevator. Brought it home and tossed a single cell battery into it and bound it up to the DX6i. Everything is in perfect running order.
I am looking forward to a calm day to give her a go.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Congrats! Great flight there…..and you brought it home in one piece! That's a success! Have fun with it!

mudbogger

Thats actually a nice flight, especially for a first-flight. You said you wanted to have a better landing; All I can say to that is...Use a R/C flight simulator for practice :D .

Stambo

Thats actually a nice flight, especially for a first-flight. You said you wanted to have a better landing; All I can say to that is...Use a R/C flight simulator for practice :D .

I have been, but the sim is not the same. :)
And I have a tiny patch of ground to aim for. :)

Stambo

Oops, I broke it. I was flying it at a local sports field and over confidence caused an error of judgement.
I was flying through the top of some rugby goal posts thinking I was doing just fine.
It was a little gusty but not too bad so I thought I would have a go at getting under the bar.
Unfortunately due to a wind gust at just the wrong time, I didn't make it.
Hit the side bar and tore the left wing off.

Oh well, stuff happens as they say.
I have heard that hot glue does a great job of repairing foam.
I have to admit to being more than a little sceptical but I plugged in the glue gun.
What do you know, it works. Hot glue and a bit of tape and it flies again.
No obvious adverse effects to flight.

I think I am becoming a fixed wing convert.
I am now thinking of either buying or building a larger and more capable plane.
Maybe AXN or Bixler, or a wing, something capable of carrying FPV gear and giving me a longer flight time than my quads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom