Quad Just joined RCHelp and Im a noob to Forums in general

effexx

Other forums Ive jointed, looking for help, have been less than friendly. Hope this attempt will change my experience. I am new to the RC hobby, got the crashing part figured out. I fly mostly quads and just built my first foam plane. I am doing my first scratch quad build (250mm Martian / NAZA with GPS / 2x gimbal). This is the point where I get tarred and feathered in most forums ... "why would you do that, just buy a DJI". I started out with a Phantom 1.1.1 and as I have progressed in the hobby DJI has priced my out of my fun zone.

I have a hundred questions and here is number #1: I'm using a Spektrum DX8 with REDCON CM703 receiver in the Martian. I want my throttle (mode 2 setup) to operate like my DJ6 TX (self centering stick). I installed a Spektrum AR8000 receiver in my FranfinPhantom and successfully set it up with my DX8 TX. I'm loving it though I miss the centered throttle (I enjoy flying slow with photos & video). I reached out to Spektrum for a better understanding of how this function works and how to perform the mod. Spektrum (Horizon) total gave me a cold shoulder. Found a YouTube video for this exact mod on a DX6i. Opened up my DX8 and it looks mostly the same. Before I commit to the mod can anyone point me in the right direction to understand the cause and effect.
Thank you

Smoggie

Hi effexx, welcome to the forum. It's a little quieter here than some of the big forums but I think you will find it a lot friendlier.

You can set the throttle stick to self centre in a similar way to the DX6i, you just enable the spring return and disable the ratchet. This is something not normally recommended for setups where the stick controls throttle directly (planes, quads, cars, fixed pitch helis etc) because if the stick ever slips out of your grip, or you simply put the Tx down, the throttle will go to half power all by itself. This is potentially very dangerous especially when handling the model in the pit lane.

Some people use it that way on collective pitch helis but they have it setup so that throttle works in a different way, the 'throttle stick' doesn't actually control throttle, it controls collective pitch.

effexx

Thank you
This gives me some information to work with. I have disassembled my DJI DJ6 controller to compare the stick gimbals and they look to operate very much the same. With the DJ6 controller I launch, attain my desired altitude, release the throttle and it self centers. My Phantom remains in a hover (both atti & gps modes). With my DX8 I launch, release the throttle and the stick remains where released. As I applies Yaw for a smooth video pan, maintaining the desired altitude is very difficult to manage. How does my DJ6 controller remember my throttle position or am I missing something obvious. Is this a function of the NAZA and will the DX8 work similarly if I perform the ratchet mod. Performing Yaw maneuver from center stick position while maintaining a solid altitude hold is my desired result. I have been experimenting with Expo on my DX8 and have had some great results for smooth flying. Panning while maintaining altitude remains troublesome.

Smoggie

Your DJI quad maintains altitude i'd guess because it's got altitude hold activated? So the stick isn't controlling throttle, basically it's flying itself. If you tried that with your new foamy plane you would get very different results because on that the throttle is controlled directly by stick movement and a throttle that 'opens itself' is potentially dangerous.

Tony

Staff member
Hey effess, welcome to RCH! Don't worry, we are not like those larger forums, in fact, those larger forums are why I created this forum back in 2011, I was tired of it too.

The DX8 has the ability to change modes without any major modificatinos. If you watch teh below video at 3:35, there are screws to apply and release tension to the sticks. You just want to apply these springs to the throttle. But as Steve stated, you do not want to do this with anything other than quads with altitude hold. If you do, you could be seriously injured by a plane or helicopter taking off on you.

You can get to these adjustments on the DX8 without taking apart the case, but I took the case apart so everyone can see what they are adjusting before doing so. Hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
And here is the video on how to adjust modes from the outside. Instead of releasing tension on the right stick, you will just leave that one alone and tighten down on the left stick. Again though, just be careful with anything other than something with altitude hole that is expecting a centered stick.

effexx

Hey effess, welcome to RCH! Don't worry, we are not like those larger forums, in fact, those larger forums are why I created this forum back in 2011, I was tired of it too.

The DX8 has the ability to change modes without any major modificatinos. If you watch teh below video at 3:35, there are screws to apply and release tension to the sticks. You just want to apply these springs to the throttle. But as Steve stated, you do not want to do this with anything other than quads with altitude hold. If you do, you could be seriously injured by a plane or helicopter taking off on you.

You can get to these adjustments on the DX8 without taking apart the case, but I took the case apart so everyone can see what they are adjusting before doing so. Hope this helps.

Thank you I am so happy right now. Your timely and helpful responses have turned things around for me, was about to throw in the towel. I have watched the hole DX8 series, going on round two now. So well done, easy to follow ... enjoyable and relaxing to view.

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure. If there is anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. I can get a DX8 to test with, but it may take a few days to get it here. But I do have a DX9 that I can use in some situations.

effexx

Ok ... you guys are the best. With your help today, after months of tying to figure this out, with no help form DJI - Horizon or any other forum, it finally all makes seance. I started out flying Phantom 1.1.1 in NAZA Phantom setup. As my skills improved I switched to NAZA M setup to enable Manual mode as a flight option. In over one year I never once attempted to launch in Manual mode. Which is a good thing as I hand launch & retrieve since my last major modification. I would switch to Manual only after inquiring a home point and stable hover (50% throttle). You guys just boosted my confidence and eliminated my confusion. I am so happy I found this forum :)

Tony

Staff member
It really is a great forum with very friendly people in it. I work hard to make sure we help everyone and that no one is treated like I was treated when I first got into the flying part of the hobby. So never hesitate to ask questions.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
It's truly a friendly and great forum for everyone! :) If you have any unanswered questions in the RC world without being embarrassed or ashamed to ask, Tony and the members will make you feel right at home. There's no such thing as a stupid questions on this site. Welcome and good day! :)

Top Bottom