250 Just do not understand this 230s

Mikker

This copter is so nerve racking. I have done everything to try to get it airborne to no avail. We completely rebuilt 130x, (2) mcpxBLs, 120 Sr, blade Sr, 270 CFX, and a 360 cfx. But this helicopter is pissing me off. I can get NO HELP from blade. They just send me parts upon parts. All I need is a little info on the proprietary programming of the RX. ....update, I installed the new RX and it just dove off to the right after a decent liftoff. It hovered fine for awhile then did a wild right dive. It took all I had to get it back on the skids in one piece. Please advise if,you have any suggestions.

Tony

Staff member
If it "dove" to one side, check your gyro directions and make sure it's correcting in the correct direction.

You never did say what part of oklahoma you are in. Let me know, we might be able to meet up and have a look at this thing together.

trainrider06

I assume you did the update with the receiver and all that? Used the dongle to update it? And did the calibration after getting it set up?

murankar

Staff member
I don't think he knows how do to do all that stuff yet, at least that's what I gather from this. First off have done the gain adjusts? If not tone them way down to some thing like 50%. Apparently these birds come with the gains set to 100% by default. So try and dial those back some. Have you bench tested this thing? All the basic stuff, servo travel, servo correction direction and the such range check. Your Fail safe how is it set? For the bird I would ensure your sticks are center,throttle hold setup with a linear pitch curve and activated while binding. Finally test your fail safe on the bench. Disengage your motor in what ever manor you see fit, Activate the radio and model and then turn off the radio. Watch the heli, servos in particular. Make sure they go center. Next time you fly this bird Video the flight; even if you decide not to upload it. That way you ha some kind of log to fall back on and in that rare case like this You could then up load it for us to review.

Make sure your servo leads are securely plugged in. I would not suspect this kit needed to have the leads secured in to the RX but you never know. I would ensure that the servo leads are shoe gooed into place. This is probably going to be the easiest method to undo later on. Speaking of which I still have to secure mine. Anyhow try all that and let us know what ppens.
blade230s.PNGblade230s-2.PNG

blade230s.PNG

blade230s-2.PNG

Last edited:

trainrider06

Poor guy! i've heard people having weird issues with em, but mine I pulled outta the box and this is how she flies!
It does have this funky swash tilt on it on spool up but I just give it a tad right stick to the left and she comes up to a hover nice and steady....landing it wants to tilt also, but again just a tad right stick to the left and she lands smooth as silk, or I just hit TH right as the skids touch....
Copy of 230s F2 - YouTube

Mikker

Ok. That's a lot to consume. Tony we are in the 918 (Tulsa). I am in the middle of installing 2 weber motors in my skis so time is precious. Will try to do the gain adjustment and other mentioned items soon. Thanks again. Will advise and video.

Mikker

[video=youtube_share;Zgkphe9g9e8]https://youtu.be/Zgkphe9g9e8[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, we have got it stable hovering. The tail just wants to jump around.. Please advise. Do I up the gain or drop it?

trainrider06

I'd say raise em a bit, since it's sorta twitching, I can give you my gain settings tonight off my radio if you'd like

Tony

Staff member
Yea, it seems like that tail is "hunting". Raise your gain up about 5 points and you should be good.

murankar

Staff member
Only deal with the main gains at this point. Get the heli flying stable based on your set. Once you achieve that and put still see issues that the main gains can't handle then mess with any pid gains you may have access to. Hope this helps.

Mikker

Set them higher. Ran up in 5 pt increments. We are at 1)139 2)140 3)142 4)141 5)123 6)123 7)171 8)171 and the tail is still hunting with major sticks to hover

Tony

Staff member
What parameter are you adjusting? The tail gain should be 40-65. Can you take a picture of your Tx screen on the menu you are adjusting and post it up?

Mikker

[video=youtube_share;54Fo_X2drjs]https://youtu.be/54Fo_X2drjs[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I am learning PID. Still a little confusing

Tony

Staff member
I have never seen that menu in my life. And here I thought the DX6 and the DX9 were pretty much teh same other than channels. Hm...

Tony

Staff member
PID can be very confusing at first. Start with P and leave I and D at 0 and get a rough dial in.

trainrider06

You know I was thinking since that runs a dual ESC in it, maybe the issue is with getting too much to the tail side or something of that sort? I know it's frustrating but you have it close it looks like except for that tail. Just gotta figure that and you should be home free!

murankar

Staff member
Tony that's the gyro program screen if I am not mistaken.

If you have a slow hunting in the tail that cant be tuned out on main gains its going to be either P or I gains. I would start with the I first. Since I don't have much experience in this area I dont want to make any harsh suggestions. I would maybe go 5 points lower and see if it gets better. If not go 5 points over the original number. Again that's if you even have those available. DO not mess with the D gain if it is there. That is a very last thing to touch because it is susceptible to noise. Which means that it will use the noise in the electrical system as part of its algorithm. SO leave that alone.

If this is dual motor then it could be an esc issue. Not sure how that works since none of my helis are tail motor driven. Well there is the 120sr but I don't fly it and its a brushed motor.

Okay so based on your numbers I think your to high vs what the manual has. I would go back to stock and work my way down. All the hunting and stuff maybe due to to high of gains. Normally that would result in a fast wag and a pair pants full of stuff. Plus head speed can effect you gain values, to high or to low can cause a nightmare for tuning.

One thing about tuning, now this is not for everyone this is just suggestion. Check out RC Heli Nations episode 133 and 134. These two episodes cover tuning in some detail. You could just skip to 1 hour 15 or 1 hour 30 to get to the main content of the show.

Last edited:

trainrider06

I was reading the manual on these adjustments and to me this is kinda confusing....
Talks about flight log in the radio, but on Spektrum radios the chart, and swash percentages. Anyone have any idea what in the heck they mean hear??image.png

image.png

Tony

Staff member
That is why I have not seen that screen. I have not played with telemetry with my DX9 yet.

Okay, now I'm caught up lmao. When you are on the main screen of the Tx, click the roller and scroll down to a menu called Gyro. In there tell me what your gain is set to.

Top Bottom