Jobs For Tony...

Tony

Staff member
The further the days go along, the more it looks like my days are in fact coming to an end at OMD. I have been there for about 4.5 years now, but with absolutely no option for advancement, I can't stay there much longer. So I had to start looking for a new job where I can move up in a company.

The first place to call me back was AT&T. This would be an awesome job even though they do work you to death. With two new car payments and a mortgage now, I could use the extra money. Also, it has a little something to do with networking which is exactly what I want to get into, adn should have gotten into quite a while ago. But I didn't want to change jobs.

With AT&T, I have already went in and taken the TMTFII test and passed with flying colors. Well, I "feel" I passed with flying colors (100%, maybe a 98% at the lowest) since they dont' give you a grade, it's pass or fail. As soon as I got home, I had an email informing me of the next class which is tomorrow morning at 10:00. So with two to three inches of snow coming, I get to drive in it and be up there for more testing for the job that I REALLY want. I will update you all on that one.

While sitting here, I received a phone call from Rent-A-Center, which I also applied to. The pay there is not that great. About what I'm making now, but you get 8-10 hours of overtime every week and there are ways to move up in teh company. Within a year, I could be an assistant manager there if I take that job. It is a lot closer to home being it's just north of me, so I WILL save money over working at OMD even though it's the same pay. Just no benefits, and quite frankly, I need the money right now.

As I was talking to the guy from RAC, I received a phone call from Schwans. Those that don't know, Schwans is a company that delivers food right to your door. Pay is great, the company has been around for a long time, and their food is pretty good. The bad about this company is it's very long hours, you are paid commission, and you have to meet a quota. But, I will be doing something different, moving around and not just sitting at a desk all day, and I will be making more money. However, I missed the call from Schwans, called the guy back and left a message for him to call me back (phone tag...). So now I wait.

And that is where I sit right now. If AT&T doesn't work out and I bomb out on the testing or the interview tomorrow, I have other things that I can fall back on. All I know is I have to get the HELL AWAY from OMD (I actually just typed OMG right there and had to correct it). I have done my 4 years with the military and then some and now I'm done. I think it's much worse for a civilian than it is for someone that is enlisted... Just my opinion though lol.

murankar

Staff member
The military dumps on civilians all the time. I can imagine just how bad it can be.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Yup. I will admit, it was a good choice to work there, but as stated, my time is done. Time to move on.

Tony

Staff member
Don't feel good about that interview. I will find out in 7-10 days... But I'm not holding my breath...

RandyDSok

I hope you luck in whatever direction you end up taking...

Just to let you know a little about AT&T ( perhaps to ease it some if you don't get it ) ....

I worked for SWBell for 8.5 years and while I had to work my butt off in all types of weather... it was one of my favorite jobs up until divestiture when Uncle Sam decided to throw a wrench in all of the works. I held on for about 4 years after that until I finally had enough of them. With SWBell, customer service was the top priority all of the time and everything that was planned was done as best as the engineers and workers could possibly do. It was like a "family" of sorts and we really took pride in everything we did... After the break-up everything changed with-in a couple of years... the management had no longer worked their way up the ladder... They came straight from college and had no idea of how things worked even... They began just making decisions for the short term without consideration that the lower price they were paying was going to be much higher later to actually fix it right... Which they never did because when it came time to fix the cheap crap... they replaced it with more of the same instead.

I left finally in 1987... Now, while I don't work for them... I still see and hear more of the same type ( if not worse ) of lack of service that started back then. If you call one of their departments... they have no idea of what any other department is doing or has done. All of this from a company that used to be "the network" company... I'll grant you that they do pay well and have great benefits... but they have no idea of what it is they are doing any more.

murankar

Staff member
Sorry to hear that. At least you gave it a shot. I you would not have tried you would have never known. At least now you know what you need to do it. Hopefully it will be something not to difficult to achieve.

Tony

Staff member
It's nothing that you can "learn". I will just keep chugging along with my CCNA, apply for AT&T when I get it, then tell them to get bent when they say "your hired". I will take great pleasure in that. From what I have been reading, I would not have liked it anyway.

Tony

Staff member
Is what it is. RAC I go. With my luck here lately, they will turn me down as well...

Ron B

I hope something comes up soon that will be what you want it to be and you can live with.
i was an over the road truck driver for 39 yrs. and didn't really like it (I was good at it and made good money) I tried a few other jobs for a very short time but couldn't make a living at it so I would go back to truck driving. After I got hurt and couldn't do much but take my retirement it was a big relief. Now I can enjoy life just no money.

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying everything I can to stay out of a truck, but I'm thinking that is going to be my only option. Sometimes I regret even getting the CDL in the first place because it seems those trucks have a hold on you for a very long time.

Top Bottom