It's hard selling your helicopters....

Tony

Staff member
Well, Nightmare and the 450 are sold. They will be out the door on the way to their new owners later today when the mail man picks them up. And I have to say, it was a hard decision to make, and even harder to follow through with lol.

A couple days ago I decided that I wanted to sell all of my helicopters and take a different path with this hobby. Not getting out of it, just trying different things. So, I created my for sale thread, and put them on the market. I then sent Paul a text stating what I had done, and he thought I was about to do something "stupid" hahahaha. I told him what my plans were at the time, and he was like "Oh, okay" lol. Well, the plan that I had was to get out of the knockoff market all together. Sell off everything that I own, and start over with the best of the best. Well, I'm a poor white boy and I can't do that lol.

So, I pulled the thread thinking that I would sell the heli's and never get them back. Well some people on here have been wanting to get into the 450 world, and I told him about my 450 for sale, and just how well it flew. So, we chatted on the phone, and the next thing that I know, I have money in the paypal account, and my favorite heli in a box.

Well crap, there is no turning back now. So, another member (yes, I'm not saying who the members are until they say it first) asked if the 450 was gone, and I said yes. He asked what else I had for sale, and I told him that "everything's for sale for the right price". So, he started thinking about the 500 that I have for sale. I told him what it would involve, and he asked about the 250... My beloved "Nightmare". I have put more time into Nightmare than any other helicopter that I own. I have fought with it to get it in the air, and once I finally got everything right, the heli was a dream to fly. Then all of a sudden, I have more money in my account, and another heli in a box leaving out not 10 minutes later...

Well crap, now I'm left with a 500 that doesn't fly, and a 600 that doesn't have an ESC... What am I going to do to finish these videos? lmao. So, I have money in the bank, and no reliable heli. Where else do I turn but to the same place where I purchased my other helis, hobbyking. I start looking at the HK450TT Pro. I want a shaft driven tail this time, I have been flying long enough lol. That one is $69.99. So, I go over all of the pics, look it over, and sit back in my chair. Then, I decide to go over to xheli just because. I look at the EXI 450 Pro Shaft Drive heli, It's on sale for $80.00, only a penny more, and it comes with a fiberglass canopy.

I know what you are thinking, "who cares about the canopy"... Well I do after I saw what happened to my 500 canopy. One "little" crash, and the canopy exploded, when it should have just cracked. So, after looking at every picture, and calling up a buddy to verify some things, The order was placed. My first TT helicopter is on it's way.

Now I need electronics. I have to say, I have had great luck out of the Alpha 400 motor with the 30 amp ESC on low timing. I never had a power issue with my helicopter. So, those two things go into the basket. The gyro off of the 600 is going on this bad boy as well (GA-250). I'm going to try to put an EXI D213F digital 9g servo on the tail, if I can make some brackets so it will fit (it's made for a 500 sized servo). If I can't make it fit, then I'm getting the Align DS520 I think is the number. Then, I decided that I needed some CF blades. The canopy is yellow, and the yellow CF blades have great reviews, so in they go. The cyclic is going to be done by the MG90S servos that I pulled off of Nightmare. The standard servos on that heli are more than enough, and they fit a lot better as well.

So, $125 later and I have a whole new helicopter on the way. You had better bet that I'm going to redo my build videos on the 450's since most of the stuff should be the same less the tail. This one also has a totally new servo mounting system where it gets the servos as close to the center of the heli as it can. So this should be a fun build, and should make some great flight videos I hope. Now, I just have to wait until it gets here next week..... I hate waiting lol.

18H20-EXI450Pro-Shaft-03.jpg

L PLATER

The T/T tails are very good and stable but do not like it when you just touch the ground with the tail blades, not like a belt drive.

I was having heaps of problems with tail in landings and I was changing the rear tail drives very often. (buy some spares)

After a dozen or so of rear tail drives being replaced I moved the gyro up front under the battery tray, now when I break the tail drives I do not have to remove the gyro.

Thought this may help.

Cheers

Tony

Staff member
That is a great point about the gyro since you have to split the block to replace the front tail drive. I may do that. I'm also thinking (to keep from hitting the tail as often) going with a 2650mah battery to put a little more weight up front, and make it a little nose heavy. Helicopters don't seem to care if they are nose or tail heavy since you can dial it out, unlike planes. Something to try anyway lol.

And, I'm going to have to make another order for servos, and spares, and you had bet there will be a couple front and rear drives in that order as well as a lot of others that usually die in a crash.

L PLATER

I use turnigy 3000 mha batts (500 grams approx) and still have a tail heavy 500, so good luck with that.

I will posts some pics next week of my custom extended skids and my 600 tail fin, all used to try and keep the tail from hitting the deck first.

Cheers

Lee

My second HK450GT isnt even finished and i've sold it :D. Looking forward to your review on the 450Pro Tony to decide what i should get next.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Guess who was the second person getting the nightmare! lol :D

and this seems like a very good bird. the base plate seems like it is carbon fibre and metal , which is good. Cause mine came with a plastic base plate.
I am really interested in the gyro thing cause i am thinking of buying a 450pro super combo in the near future. Please post pics
:)

Last edited:

RCD

Glencairn Drone
THat 450 you ordered is the same one i have but yours is torque tube driven!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ummm.. rcd.. i dont think so.. we both have the same heli. If you have the v3. Our heli is an old head V2. I was confused too.. until I had to buy a head block for mine and found out that the EXI people have tricked us.. lol... only our frame is pro frame everything else is from old trex. to measure and confirm.. see if damper to damper your head block is 17 mm.. if it is.. its an old head.. and a old everything.. even our tail blade grips are not weighted.. like this one here... lol... we got a old trex with a pro frame..

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
The $600 is atleast $300 I think. There is nothing wrong with it, it just needs some extra parts. I think I'm going to pull the ad again and keep the two that I have, maybe... lmao.

Gaba, More than likely I'm going to put the gyro in the spot where it's supposed to go. I like being able to see it. We will see if they ever ship me the helicopter lol. I thought I would wake up and see it had shipped, wishfull thinking I guess lol.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
ummm.. rcd.. i dont think so.. we both have the same heli. If you have the v3. Our heli is an old head V2. I was confused too.. until I had to buy a head block for mine and found out that the EXI people have tricked us.. lol... only our frame is pro frame everything else is from old trex. to measure and confirm.. see if damper to damper your head block is 17 mm.. if it is.. its an old head.. and a old everything.. even our tail blade grips are not weighted.. like this one here... lol... we got a old trex with a pro frame..

Well as long as it flys I'm fine!

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the head and tail have been totally redesigned on the Pro versions. Not sure the difference, and can't compare them since I sold my GT lol.

Top Bottom