Micro Issue with mSRs heli

bigone5500

I charge the batteries for this heli. I install the battery and bind it to my Tx. When I try to fly it sometimes, the rotor will spin up to a slow speed and stay there. I have to pick up the heli and unplug the battery. Sometimes it will work the next time and other times I have to do this 2 or 3 times. What is causing this to happen? I have had to do this with different batteries so I don't think it has anything to do with the cells.

Tony

Staff member
I read this last night and moved on to think about it and completely forgot about it. That's my bad. This issue could be a severely sagging battery, a bad connection that cant' withstand the current, a bad FET on the control board or a bad motor. You can start by putting a voltage tester on the battery leads and spooling it up. this will tell you if in fact the battery is sagging. If the FET is bad, you will notice either a crack, sweating (looks wet) or both. The FET if you dont' know will be the largest black block on the control board. If the motor is bad then the windings will be shorted together. You can use an OHM tester and ohm out each of the wires if there are 3. They should all be the same. You can also take two of the 3 and connect them together and spin the motor. This will cause a braking effect which will make it harder to turn. If one set of wires has a weaker brake than the other ones, you found the issue. Also, connecting all 3 wires together will cause it to have full brake. If all 3 together is no stronger than just two of them, then you have a bad winding. Again, this is for a brushless motor.

bigone5500

You're probably right about the battery. It was used when I got it so it may not be any good. I put it on charge and it only took 3 mA of charge. I put my other on and it took 43 mA. About to try it out now.

Geena

Staff member
I had a similar issue with an mCPx several years ago. It would spool up but not enough to lift off. My issue turned out to be the main motor. I replaced the motor, and it worked fine after that.

bigone5500

Ok...

I know I said I would get a video of this but I think I have figured it out. I'm 99% sure I have one failed and one failing battery. I just went out and flew it for about 3 minutes and the battery went out. The other battery will not rake a charge anymore. It used to take about 25 minutes to charge them but now it takes 5. Stupid batteries...:mad: Funny thing is I thought when they went bad, they swelled up. But these aren't.

Geena

Staff member
Batteries are funny like that. I have had them reach end of life, and still be as firm, as they were when they we brand new. I`ve also had some that puffed up like ballpark franks, but still had low IRs, and made plenty of power.

bigone5500

Good thing these little cells are cheap(ish).

Geena we should start a RealFlight party on Saturdays sometime. Anyone else who has RF 7.5 come join in! One day I will get Phoenix but until then...

Geena

Staff member
That`s definitely a good thing. Hopefully, some new batteries will get you back in business.

Top Bottom