450 is it ok to install servos from the outside in

as you can see, the way i have the servos installed the linkages are not completely straight up and down, they have more of a angle to them, is this ok or do the linkages need to be 90 degrees

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If I was you I would try to get as close to 90 degrees and parallel as you can. I imagine you wont get true readings on your cyclic or pitch if their not. Just my opinion.

Geena

Staff member
Having the links offset like that will mess up the geometry of the helicopter, and it will not fly as well as it will if you get the links straight. It may also cause setup issues while setting cyclic and collective pitch.

Tony

Staff member
I always put my servos mounted to the inside of the frame. Yes, it is a complete PITA to replace them, but it does get the links straight up and down.

Geena

Staff member
I always install them in compliance with the manual. On most helicopters, installing them all inside the frames is perfectly fine. But on TSA helicopters, cyclic servo #1 installs from inside the frame, and cyclic servos #2 and 3 install from the outside. Installing them any other way, will throw the geometry off.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I guess I should have been more clear. I will test fit them to see where the arms line up and where I need to put the linkage balls on the arms. Some servos are very short from the tabs to the arms, some are long, so it just depends. But looking at this helicopter, inside with the balls on the outside may be the wise choice. But that is just from looking at the photos.

Admiral

Generally I find if I go back to basics, and build following the setup in the manual that the linkages come out pretty right.

I have done an FBL conversion where the linkages were linkages were similar to yours, it flew OK sports flying, but I didn't like the way it looked so I ended up putting a larger swash on it which corrected the problem.

Top Bottom