Quad Is it me or tuning required

daywalker156

Been looking around the forum to figure out if it's me being a new be on quads or their is a problem with it running cc3d board emax motors and esc,s zmr clone. Hopefully someone might be able to identify the problem doesn't want to maintain a steady altitude and motors sometimes don't sound correct
Thanks for any comments
https://youtu.be/oTmPIKGGF-8

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Tony

Staff member
not maintaining altitude is common on these quads. With the wind and prop wash they like to bounce around a bit. It sounds like maybe two of your motors have a higher setting than the rest. In the CC3D program, there are sliders you move to just start the motors one at a time. I'm wondering if one or two of these couldn't be turned down a touch.

Keep practicing, it will become second nature in no time.

daywalker156

Thanks Tony for quick reply checked a couple of times but will check again , but yes been flying fixed wing for 20 years and this is way different but enjoying it. It just sounded wrong just before it falls like the motors are pulsing

Tony

Staff member
If you are talking about that oscillation sound as it's coming down, I hate to say it, but that is normal. It all has to do with your PID settings. But, if you get it low enough to not oscillate on the way down, it's unstable when flying. There at the end of the video though, it sounded like something (maybe the camera) was rubbing the CF.

Here is a video of my first 250 and the HORRIBLE oscillations it had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0chtKk3p0

daywalker156

Er no mine isn't too bad then thanks for your comments I will keep flying and practice and more practice lol 3d fixed wing i can do no problem this is a new challenge lol
Many thanks

Tony

Staff member
Not a problem. Just an FYI, my quad is no longer that bad lol. PID settings were way too high with my setup. Now, I'm testing the Walkera Runner 250 Basic 3 and so far, it's quite impressive. It's running on the Multiwii software and even it, as a RTF, has the wobble on the way down.

Stambo

Do you intend to fly FPV with this quad?
These little things don't like sitting still, they are also quite difficult to fly any great distance away LOS as orientation becomes difficult.
With the wobble on descent, yes quite normal but you can reduce it a lot with PID tuning.
PID tuning will also help with maintaining altitude but flying a miniquad means learning to manipulate the throttle a lot more. :)

Lee

Which PID settings are you using on the CC3D?
Your I gain looks a little off, but thats wobble on decent is more due to you dropping down through your own prop wash.
Try to keep some movement at all times to keep it out of the wash.
I'm not talking much, just 2 or 3 mph
If it does get into a wobbling decent, just give it a quick dab of power, that'll sort it out.

Last edited:

daywalker156

Okay just to learn to fly with at the min will get fpv at a later date as for the pix settings all I done was follow the open pilot wizard and chose apply settings did not pic any preset quad I did notice there are 3 new setups for my frame might try one of them but I think it was for 4s don't know if that would change much. The frame I have is I think a zmr 250 Chinese clone

Many thanks
Kev

Lee

The stock settings are more for a 450 size quad.
I'm sure there is a ZMR 250 3S set up in there. That should work :)

daywalker156

There is 3 setups on there I didn't realise they were there until I looked earlier I know 1 is a 4s setup I will try the others on my spare cc3d and if not good I can swap back over. By the way ordered f450 quad and all the bits to go with it might be easier for me to get the hang of
Thanks Kev
P.s 450 could be another bunch of problems lol

Stambo

F450, is that the DJI flamewheel clone or the genuine one?
My first quad was a home made aluminium one which never flew real well, then I put everything on to a chinese F450 clone frame.
It flew ok but I knew nothing about setting PIDs or balancing props and eliminating/isolating vibrations.
I have never been able to totally eliminate jello from anything with those composite arms so have now gone for a home built wooden frame.

Lee

I just put the 3S setting into my ZMR250.
Settings were fine. I have turned down the roll PIDs a bit.
Once I get a couple of calibration flights in, I'll let you know my settings if you like.

daywalker156

Not had a chance to do anything busy at work and heavy rain next couple of days but I will try the 3s settings

Lee

So far I'm still running the stock 3S set up. In rate mode it flies really well.
Maybe could do with turning down the D gain in roll, as there is a slight bounce back after fast flips.
To much wind here to test more at the moment.

daywalker156

Okay mate just started getting a delay on the rear right motor that could be a lot of the problem as someone mentioned on here a while back weather still bad here raining again today so still can't get any flying in

Top Bottom