Spektrum Is DX9 technology better than DX6?

Friend of mine was always having periods of lost connection to his receiver using a DX6. I have DX9 and have never had that issue and has been rock solid (knock on wood). Is the DX9 connection technology better than DX6 on a hardware or software level making it more reliable?

Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
If you are talking about the newest DX6 (there was a DX6 way back in the day, then the DX6i, then the new DX6), then the Rx/Tx module is the same.

Make sure he is running GOOD antennas and they are not damaged in any way. Also make sure he has some kind of diversity. Some Rx's have two antennas, one longer than the other. Make sure they are facing different directions (one to the side and one to the back). If that doesn't work, then have him replace his Rx. He could have a bad solder joint inside it.

First though, do a range check on the system. And compare it to yours. Sit your heli right next to his and do a range test together. They should end about the same time.

Derek

I was going to suggest a range check, too, but Tony beat me to it, lol. Definitely do a range check and see what you get?

If you are referring to the new DX6, then the technology in the two tx's should be the same. Now, the programming and the setups are different because your talking about a 6 channel tx and a 9 channel tx but the signal strengths should be very much the same.

If you do a range check and find that there is a difference in the range, definitely replace the rx and try again. Range checks are VERY OFTEN overlooked and not performed. I've been guilty of not doing a range check, too. However, this may help you determine of the problem is with the tx or the rx.

Best of luck guys!!!

Please report back with any results..good or bad.

murankar

Staff member
Also make sure the antennas of the RX are not inside any kind of carbon fiber. Check to ensure he is not pointing the tip at the aircraft, the tip has the weakest to no signal. As Derek suggested a range check should be done before each fly day just to make sure things are in good working order. As for the antennas as Tony said make sure they are not damaged in any way.

Tony

Staff member
I had to do a little digging. The DX9 has dual diversity antennas (well, diversity antennas is the better way to say it). I had to find out if the DX6 had the same thing and from what I read, it's a crap shoot. But one guy opened up his case and there was in fact a horizontal antenna going across the top of the Tx. So maybe it does. But, it's going to be really close to the electronics and not in the grab handle like on the DX9. ,

murankar

Staff member
I thought all the new DX black radios were diversity? My DX6 black has a rubber ducky on the top too.

Tony

Staff member
Right, but on the DX9, the grab handle is the second antenna, horizontal. If you have a DX6, crack that case open and show me the horizontal antenna. I'm quite serious about this. I want to see that sucker from a member here.

murankar

Staff member
Ill have to do it tomorrow I just realized its 2345 here and I have to be up early in the morning.

Tony

Staff member
It's 2300 here and I have to be up at 0500. Hopefully I can get some flights in to stay awake tomorrow lmao.

I was going to suggest a range check, too, but Tony beat me to it, lol. Definitely do a range check and see what you get?

If you are referring to the new DX6, then the technology in the two tx's should be the same. Now, the programming and the setups are different because your talking about a 6 channel tx and a 9 channel tx but the signal strengths should be very much the same.

If you do a range check and find that there is a difference in the range, definitely replace the rx and try again. Range checks are VERY OFTEN overlooked and not performed. I've been guilty of not doing a range check, too. However, this may help you determine of the problem is with the tx or the rx.

Best of luck guys!!!

Please report back with any results..good or bad.

I don't think I've ever heard of a range check although it makes sense. How does one do a proper range check?

Smoggie

I don't think I've ever heard of a range check although it makes sense. How does one do a proper range check?

It's covered all in the manual. The general principal is that you put the transmitter into range check mode (read manual for how) which reduces transmitting power. You then walk away 30 paces and see if you still have full control. If control becomes erratic or is lost before 30 paces then you have failed the test.

Tony

Staff member
I will have to do a video to show. I tried to type it out and it just didn't make sense. But there is a menu in the tx to do it.

Top Bottom