ESC Intermittent ESC issue , any ideas?

BAdair

On my 450 pro, I have very few flight's been working out vibration issues, I would say it has maybe 8-10 test flights on it.
The ESC & motor im using are Hobbymate 40amp esc with 3A 5V bec, Hobbymate hb2835 3800kv motor, 12T pinion, 150T main gear.
It never showed any signs of problems, always worked fine. I flew it yesterday after working out tail vibe issues, flew great, no issues, 1. 3min flight, a few hard turns and rolls to test tail holding, came in felt motor and battery, not even very warm, was happy with temps.
Went to put on another battery and then it was cogging like it lost one of the poles, un-pluged turned tx off started over, same thing.
Removed all the esc and motor put on another rx and tested and it ran fine, was like crap hope it's not the 3gx, plug back into 3gx and ran fine...?
I have been trying to make it screw up all day today moving wires pulling on connections with it running on bench and I cant get it too.
I did cut the heat shrink off of the esc to inspect the board for burnt spots and can't see any signs of this, however I did notice on 2 of the mosfets, although do not show signs of burnt they had some clear'ish white residue on the end of them like it came out through the case of the mosfet, I am not sure of this or if it is flux or glue residue from when it was made at the manufacture?

batteries are Zippy 2200mah 40c 3s

I had the esc up in the nose of the frame on the pro, zip tied to the plastic nose cover of the frame it was all concealed, making it very difficult to fit and also could not unplug motor wires when setting up. Will not put it back there it will be on the bottom or side of the frame, I was just trying for a very clean no wire look.

any ideas would be appreciated

Lee

I hate when something goes wrong, then it works again. Its so hard to find the problem.
Just check all the connections from battery to motor. All the solder joints and banana plugs for weak/cold joints.

BAdair

I hate when something goes wrong, then it works again. Its so hard to find the problem.
Just check all the connections from battery to motor. All the solder joints and banana plugs for weak/cold joints.

Yea me too.. makes me want to just buy a new castle esc and scorpion motor, but my wallet and wife says NO.. lol

I have been, the only thing I see that may possibly be an issue is the, motor to esc 3.5mm banna plugs seem just a little loose to me but the way they were jammed in the frame they couldn't have come loose and no signs of arching .
Thanks

EyeStation

Ya know, I have a battery for my 130x that if I move the balance wires in the right way, it will reset the 3in1.
Just another thing to look for.

Tony

Staff member
Check the windings on teh motor. If they are dark, then you have burnt up the motor.

BAdair

Eyestation, interesting, I will check this out, thanks!

Tony, I did, disassembled the motor and all windings look fine, no dark spots or varnish worn through. thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ok, i kept wiggling wires while motor running and then snap... this happened 2013-11-02 20.26.42.jpg hope this was the issue, seems it was holding by just a few strands by being bent in such a bind. I'm still not 100% this was the issue, makes me almost not want to risk it, going to fix this change the bullet connectors re-heat shrink and fly tomorrow. We shall see!

Thanks for all the input guy's!

Brian

2013-11-02 20.26.42.jpg

Top Bottom