380/420 Intermediary Training Gear???

Blade 400

Just wondering what you may think about these idea`s going from Training Gear to flying without any? please let me have your thoughts - just don`t call me chicken!:chickendance:

idea 1 - Pictured in pics 1 & 2

I got this idea from nightflyer on YouTube - its a child`s safety water band cut in half to make two hi-viz, lightweight pontoons that you put either side of your landing skids?

idea 2 - Pics 3-5

I had a cardboard tube leftover from parcel wrap and cut and wrapped with hi-viz paper and attached it to my Blade 400 landing skids - it`s a lot heavier than the first idea but I do find the 400 far too light so I think this will help?

idea 3 - not pictured Lol - STOP BEING A CHICKEN AND FLY HER NAKED :bellyroll:

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    649 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    551.8 KB · Views: 5

Rackman

I'm all in pull it all off a jump in..bud you have it down you know you do memory ( hand & eye ) quordination your ready ...Yeah Man..

Blade 400

I'm all in pull it all off a jump in..bud you have it down you know you do memory ( hand & eye ) quordination your ready ...Yeah Man..
Cheers rackman, I think I`ll go for it! I do think the yellow light pontoons may be a good idea for my Tarot FBL 450, to give me more confidence I`m not going to tip over on landing? unless someone advises differently :biglaugh:

Rackman

Yeah the pontoons look pretty cool for sure But they do hinder your grace and agility to really fly like a bird unlike the machine was meant to be just go for it.. you're ready you've flown on that SIM long enough you know you're doosin don'ts..I finally did an auto rotation twice this morning perfect landings each time. Wish I had someone around to take video an help me put it up to let my friends see my abilities. I'm not into acrobatic flying but I'm pretty good I love flying helicopters someday I'll get to go up in a real one again even if it is only A15:00 or 20 minute flight

Geena

Staff member
I would definitely NOT try to use those inflatable things. You`re begging for a rollover by strapping those things to the skids. The second idea........is ok, but if you`re ready to remove the training gear.....you`re ready to remove the training gear. take them off, and do a few test hops. Take the helicopter up a few CM and then set it down again. do that as many times as it takes to get the feel for the actual landing skids, and then send it.

Tony

Staff member
I 100% agree with Geena. I remember back when I got into this hobby and using training gear, and it just became a hindrance. I made the decision that I knew how to take off and land, so I removed them and never looked back (except for making how to fly videos, which will be uploaded soon in the new article section).

If you can take off and land and you don't really rely on the training gear, then it's time to ride that puppy bare back (so to speak :lmao: )

Admiral

If you really need a crutch, then just install the landing gear off a larger helicopter say 500 or even 600. You don't need it but it will help break down that barrier.

Top Bottom