Motors Inrunner vs outrunner?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you everyone for you're Help. I drop my timing from 18 degrees to 12 degrees and the motor runs a lot cooler. I was looking around and i found out that the inrunner motor means that the engine is spinning in the inside when outrunner motor spins on the out side. Make sense to me. On the timing for outrunner starts at 18 degree and up and inrunner starts at 12 degrees and down. My question is since i dropped my timing to 12 from 18 degree. My motor is an outrunner but @ 12 degrees that's an inrunner timing setting. Changing the timing down will this hurt anything of my electronic? I had the chance to fly a couple of batteries yesterday with my timing at 12 degrees and she flew great and most of all, the engine is nowhere near being hot. Can anyone tell me if there will be a problem down the road with the new timing I'm using? Thanks

Derek

I don't really know that there is a "helicopter inrunner" motor but to answer your question, if the helicopter flew great and was no where near hot, I'd say you are in good shape. Heat causes damage, so....I would have no troubles with not worrying about the new timing settings.

Go fly, have fun, and get video!

Tony

Staff member
I can assure you that i would not have suggested you drop your timing if i thought it was going to hurt anything. From everything i know, you should be just fine at 12.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I can assure you that i would not have suggested you drop your timing if i thought it was going to hurt anything. From everything i know, you should be just fine at 12.
I hope that i didn't mean to offend you Tony, it was good advice don't get me wrong. I just happen to read something about inrunner/outrunner on heli motor. Like Derek said, he didn't know about inrunner on heli and my self i dont know much, that's why i asked question? Sorry to offend you! PS Tony, heli flies great after your suggestion, thanks.

Tony

Staff member
Nah bro, I didn't take any offense to the question at all. Just reassurance. It's all good bro.

RMB677

D.O.G. Your post tweaked my interest so I went a Googled "outrunner vs inrunner" and was surprised that there are a good number of informative posts. Seems your question is fairly common. Also did a search for "outrunner timing" with good results.

Top Bottom