Chargers iMax B6AC Advice

Heliman450

Hi all, I've had my iMax charger some time now and never really had the need to cycle my batteries. Now that I'm more fixed in my location, I'm looking to be able to do this for attaining peak battery performance.

Unfortunately, the instructions aren't very good (nothing new I've discovered :cussing:) and I've never managed to set up a discharge/charge cycle.

Any help on how to do this procedure will be much appreciated.

Heliman450

Tony

Staff member
There is no need to cycle lipo or life batteries. Nimh and nicd are the only ones that really need a cycle to get peak performance.

Heliman450

Hi Tony, thanks for the feedback. That point doesn't come through from what I've picked up so far, no problem there, I'll go with you.

What about storage of the batteries if that should be something in future? When I was in the UK about 2 years ago I bought some batteries and they didn't seem to have deteriorated in any way when left with a full charge until about 9 months ago (just over a year with nothing being done with them).

I just watched one of your videos on multiple battery charging. I notice that my iMax doesn't balance the cells exactly, I normally do that externally with a new gizmo I bought recently. Since balancing with this the iMax seems to balance better but I'm not sure if it will maintain it in future or drift off.

Cheers,
Heliman450

Tony

Staff member
For max life of the battery, you should always storage charge them to 3.8vpc. Not only is there less risk of fire but they will keep there performance longer as well.

As for cycling, just charge them then go flying. That is all the cycle you need. They may gain a little power, but it's not going to be much. I have never power cycled any of my batteries and never seen them drop off and the numbers when charging them back up match what should have come out of them. Wow, that was a run on sentence lol.

murankar

Staff member
Depending on the batteries you may or may not see an improved c rating through lower IR (internal resistance). I know that Pulse, Optipower and spider packs all get better IR ratings after 5 to 10 cycles. Basically all you would need to do is do a 1 or 2 c rating charge followed by a 1 c discharge, wait 5 minutes and wash rinse and repeat. One last thing when discharging only do a 50% discharge.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Matthias, thanks for your take on this. Sorry but the term "wash and rinse" means nothing to me.

Regards,

Heliman450

Tony

Staff member
It's the directions on the back of shampoo. Wash, rinse, repeat as nessecery. It's just another way to say to do it again the same way until you are satisfied with the results.

Top Bottom