Im looking into buying this.

Sparse

the Phoenix 4, next Friday when i get paid could have got it this week, but amian, my lhs and supper bad got all my money that Im allowed to spend on hiel stuff this week.:highly_amused:anyway i have a question about sim and radios, dual rates, and expo. I know dual rates and expo are a personal setting however i am wondering when on a sim learning to fly and setting dualrates and stuff how close would it be to taking the radio and using the same setting on my real heil. example. if i get on the sim and say i have a tail wag i adjust the gain. would it be safe to say the value on the radio would take out the wag on my real heli.

Tony

Staff member
There really hasn't been a "tail wag" issue that I have found on the sim, the tail is always locked rock solid. So on that aspect, no, it won't transfer from sim to real life. But, DR/Expo will transfer over to a point. Remember, even though teh helicopters are similar to fly, you are still conscious of the fact that it's digital and not real life. This allows you do do things in the sim that you would not do in real life. So, if you are like me and many others, the sim is easy, but taking it outside gets very real very fast.

You should only use the sim to learn orientation and different flight maneuvers. It will give you limited help on DR/Expo. To get the best feel out of that one, you will have to put the aircraft on 100% realistic settings then use your Tx and make adjustments. Make sure when you set the Tx up though that you have no DR/Expo in it and your throttle curve is 100% linear.

Any help, all you have to do is ask. Stokke has a great writeup on this matter in the paid simulator section under Phoenix. It's a sticky at the top of the forum.

EyeStation

I don't think too many settings will cross over. For one you have to set up your transmitter for non gyro mode for the Phoenix program to understand your inputs. You will get more out of the Phoenix as a training aid, then you can transfer your control ability to real flight.

Tony

Staff member
I don't think too many settings will cross over. For one you have to set up your transmitter for non gyro mode for the Phoenix program to understand your inputs. You will get more out of the Phoenix as a training aid, then you can transfer your control ability to real flight.

So you are saying to try in Phoenix, then real flight, then real life??? :poke: hahahahahahahahaha. Had to do it. "It's my birthday, and I can do what I want to". Now, how many of you are going to have that song stuck in your heads hehe.

Sparse

i was using the tail wag thing as an example, the rebuild on my trex is about finished. I want to get some flight time on the sim before i spool the rex back up. i was asking cause my lhs has a sim you can actually use when your in the shop, however the tx is not very good or the best it could be. and the dfc heli was just very very twitchy, i do understand it would be being dfc i was only wondering if the settings could be dumbed down or tame for a smother flying bird. not on there tx but on mine when i get my sim.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, there are multiple ways to do this in the sim. When you get it, after you do the tips pointed out in Stokkes thread, we will help you get it just the way you want it. Just remember, you want to make the sim more challenging than your real heli. This way, you are always learning and gaining more control over your fingers and the sticks.

Stambo

Do you have the means to use your own transmitter with the flight sim?
I use this and a receiver to hook up wirelessly.
So much better without a cord.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, Phoenix will come with a cable to use with JR/Spektrum and I think Futaba. Not sure on the latter though. I use my DX8 with mine.

Sparse

Do you have the means to use your own transmitter with the flight sim?
I use this and a receiver to hook up wirelessly.
So much better without a cord.

yeah i do however not with the one in my hobby shop. ( the one on display i mean ) when i do buy mine i have a dx7 to use with it.

Derek

Hey Sparse! That's awesome that you are getting a sim! I've had the Phoenix Sim for a bit over a year and I love it. No, it's not perfect and no, it's not the best, but I have learned so much because of flying on the sim. I love the multiplayer feature, too. it's awesome to be able to fly with members of this forum, as well as other people all over the world. Just too cool!

However, I wouldn't trust any settings from the sim to relate, in any way, to real life flying. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom