General Ikon2 Question

Applegate

Hello,
I have just set up a new Align 550x with the Ikon2 FBL following the video that Tony did a few years back. My questions pertains to the setup of the gyro On a Spectrum DX9 which I have done per his instructions on a three way switch with values of 57%,0%,-57%. When in postion 1 (57%)the tail moves back and forth and stops where you stop the movement. At position 2 (0%), the tail barely moves in either direction, at position 3 (-57%) the tail moves back and forth as in position 1 but when you release the rudder stick it re centers itself. .Hoping someone can explain this to me.

thanks
Dave

Admiral

-57% puts the Gyro in rate mode, which returns to center when no input is received, rate mode is usually only used when you are setting a helicopter up, you can fly in it but it does not return the helicopter to the original heading just offsets the effect of wind etc.

Tony

Staff member
When I make the new Ikon2 setup video, I will be adding some more info on just what you asked.

For now, here is how I use those settings.

The positive number is where you normally fly in. It is in HH mode and is very stable.

The negative number is ONLY for tail setup and is never to be flown in. You flip it into that mode when you are flying (hovering and with extreme caution) and it will tell you if your mechanical setup of the tail is correct. You can use the information the helicopter tells you in the air to get a perfectly setup tail mechanically so that the tail gyro doesn't have to work too hard.

The 0 position is ONLY to be used before you take off. What this does (as well as the negative number) is to center the tail blades so that the helicopter doesn't spin around when trying to spool up the helicopter and take off.

Applegate

Thank you Admiral
I see. So presumably I could just set the gyro to on without a switch and fly as normal with a positive setting ? Or use a switch with different positive values to match the gyro to a particular setup that I may be flying? What would the rate mode assist with during setup ?

Tony

Staff member
What would the rate mode assist with during setup ?
The negative number is ONLY for tail setup and is never to be flown in. You flip it into that mode when you are flying (hovering and with extreme caution) and it will tell you if your mechanical setup of the tail is correct. You can use the information the helicopter tells you in the air to get a perfectly setup tail mechanically so that the tail gyro doesn't have to work too hard.

Applegate

When I make the new Ikon2 setup video, I will be adding some more info on just what you asked.

For now, here is how I use those settings.

The positive number is where you normally fly in. It is in HH mode and is very stable.

The 0 position is ONLY to be used before you take off. What this does (as well as the negative number) is to center the tail blades so that the helicopter doesn't spin around when trying to spool up the helicopter and take off.

Thanks so much Tony.
I believe you stated that the 0 position effectively turned off the tail gyro. So as I understand your explanation I should take off in the o position with the tail centered and then switch to HH for flying.

Tony

Staff member
No worries, I was just quoting it so that the question and answer were together. Always happy to help.

As for the 0 position, you NEVER want to take off in the 0 position. You effectively have no tail on the helicopter in that setting. The way I do it, and I guess I could have been more clear in my explanation (my apologies), is right before you start to spool up the helicopter, you flip from HH to 0, then BACK to HH mode. (again, I will try to remember to emphasize that point in the new video when I make it). Always take off and fly in HH mode.

All 0 does is it centers the tail blades. You can flip all the way down to rate then back up to HH for the same effect. But always leave it in HH mode.

Top Bottom