FBL Gyro Ikon Setup Issue

Admiral

I have an issue with setting up an iKon unit, when I enter the swashplate Setup Menu the Elevator servo drops taking the swash out of level making it difficult to level the swash. I have managed to get the swash level in all other menus and when disconnected by trial and error and am reasonable happy that it will fly OK.

I have attached video, you can see swash with leveling tool and iKon menu screens in background.
The issue is the same if the Tx is off or on.
The issue also happens when connected via BluTooth.
The issue does not occur in the other 2 iKon units that I have.
The Helicopter specs are Flasher 500, Castle 100A ESC, All servos KST 515, motor Turnigy Typhoon 500.

Any ideas ?

Tony

Staff member
Correct me if i'm wrong, but as you said, it goes out of level when you go into that menu, but it looks as if you are at full negative. Is this correct? At the very end of the video, you move the swash up while in that menu, and it levels back out.

I have to ask. Have you went into your servo travel and made sure everything is set at 100%? Are you running a completely linear pitch curve for the setup?. I'm sure both of these are yes, I just have to ask.

Admiral

Yes Tony, Linear pitch & Throttle curves, all travel at 100%, no DR or Expo, the deflection is the full travel while I'm in the swash menu which is where you level your swash, which means to get your swash level everywhere else you need to guess and compensate for the amount of the deflection. I have it level by guessing but it is not really the way I like to do things.

Because it doesn't happen to the other 2 iKons and it happens in both the PC Software and the BT software I figure, it's a glitch in the unit my only real concern now is that it may be an indication of a faulty unit that may cause issues down the track. I can't see where else I could have caused it and just wanted to see if anybody else had seen it before or knew the cause.

Tony

Staff member
I would verify that it is the ikon before contacting them for a replacement. Do this by moving the elevator to another position such as the aileron, and then put the aileron servo where the elevator is. If the issue follows the servo, then you know it is the servo. If it stays on the elevator no matter where you move the servos, then you know it is with the ikon.

Admiral

The issue transfers to the alternate servo, so it is the unit on that one port.
There won't be a replacement though Tony, I'm a pensioner any high end equipment I get is second hand, I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes, if it misbehaves I'll go back to a AR7200BX, I sold the one off the 500 to finance the iKon but I'm sure I can find another one.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, I don't know that I would worry about that. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of inverted full collective hurricanes or funnels, it should fly just fine. I would give it a shot and see how it does.

Admiral

In all honesty, I don't know that I would worry about that. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of inverted full collective hurricanes or funnels, it should fly just fine. I would give it a shot and see how it does.

I'm going to give it a go, when it's out of setup mode it appears to perform perfectly, as for inverted hurricanes, pirouettes get me dizzy, I'm very much a sports flyer.

Top Bottom