General Ikon 2

putang

Hi i am new to this sport . and i think i may of got some bad advice .I just bought the ikon 2 , and the gt5.2 . do you need a receiver with these gyro flybarless systems . the helicopter that i am working on is the thunder tiger raptor E550. i bought the graupner mz-12 pro . with the falcon 12 receiver . the bad advice i got is that the falcon 12 is not a flybarless system , But graupner says that it is but found that out after i bought the other 2 gyro systems . they told me that the gt5.2 is outdated. So i went to heli direct and bought the ikon2 thats where i bought my t-rex 550 x. on the web site that i was on which i will not name. Also told me that the reason that my tail rotar was not working after binding is because it has a narrow band . What does that mean. With the graupner mz-12 and the falcon 12 you don't need a binding plug it does it through the transmitter and receiver . If i use the ikon 2 do i need a binding plug with the transmitter that i have . Any help that that i get will be greatly appreciated.

murankar

Staff member
Lets see if I can simplify this problem. One the ikon2 needs an RX to work with your radio.

Now something you should research is that if I am not mistaken Graupner makes their own FBL unit as well. It should bind to all their radios. I also believe that it can be tuned via the radio.

Tail issues can come in many forms. Make sure you use a tail servo. Make sure your mechanical setup is good, check the pitch slider and also check the grip bearings are installed right. Insure the push rod is smooth. Make sure the linkage is in the correct servo arm location for your model.

Some other things to look at is the governor will also affect your tail performance.

You may also want to look at graupner's full line of products. I think they also offer an esc that talks to the radio. They have full telemetry with all their products.

Graupner also claims it is a flight controller. So the ikon won't work with it.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yes, as URI stated you will need a separate receiver for that gyro. I don't know anything about that Tx, but it should have a 1 servo normal mode which is what the Ikon wants. It does all of its own internal mixing.

What they mean by "narrow band" is the centering frequency. Most servos now days are 1520µs (µ=micro). "Narrow Band" is referring to the 760µs servos such as Futaba. You MUST set this correctly otherwise you will burn up the servo.

And if you are using a separate Rx, you will only bind your Tx to the Rx and not the ikon.

putang

# 1. Ok so this .ikon2 needs a receiver to work . #2. the beast that comes with the t-rex also needs a receiver . #3. the graupner mz-12 will only work with graupner products .like the falcon 12 which is a flybarless system. that I currently have on my thunder tiger raptor . #4. the spectrum , fly sky, turnigy transmitters will work with what ? receivers . #5 from what I understand that a transmitter will only receive from there own receivers . no cross binding fly sky to turnigy . and the graupner gt 5.2 will only work with a graupner transmitter . So the beast and the icon2 and the falcon 12. Need a receiver that is compatible with a transmitter of there making . Thank you for helping and bearing with me. Oh and I watched your video on setting up the ikon 2 and I did not here of any receiver. So I thought that these gyro systems - ikon2, gt 5.2 are also the receivers and I could bind them to any transmitter that I would like to use .

Tony

Staff member
All receivers are brand specific. Spektrum to Spektrum, Futaba to Futaba and so on. You connect your Rx to the ikon with the included wires to make it work.

In the video, I was using a Spektrum Tx (DX9) and I only used satellite receivers which you can only do with Spektrum. I think you can do a one wire hookup with Futaba, but not 100% sure on that one. Ikon and Spektrum is what I have always done.

putang

So any transmitter /receiver will work with these gyros . who makes the better transmitters and 6 channel versus 12/24 fly sky versus spectrum /futaba .

putang

Is this a stupid question rc helicopter . governor gas only and not on electric all my hellis are electric.

Tony

Staff member
There are no stupid questions, just the ones that are never asked. I know Spektrum and will more than likely stick with them as long as they are around. I have never used a Futaba or any of the chinese Tx so can't comment on them. I have used an Airtronics Tx (M8) when I was racing, but that was years ago. As for the governor, you can set them up on electric, but you need a little module so the gyro can sense rotation of the motor, but in most cases you will just use the governor in your ESC. Hobbywing ESC's have a great governor and are pretty cheap for what they are.

murankar

Staff member
Your graupner is every bit on par with the VControl. I think you got conned into a gyro when you have one already. Stick with graupner and their hardware. By doing so you get a complete suite of cool tools. You'll have full telemetry and the ability to tune and set up their fbl units in the radio.

Look at the graupner esc line. Those should have governors in them. Should be fairly easy to set up with out much mucking around.

Last edited:

putang

I think you are right murankar . I am going to leave it the way it is . with the falcon 12 hott. I don't know what I will do with this stuff box it and save for latter .

murankar

Staff member
Simone gunter was a graupnr sponsored pilot she is also a goblin girl member. Her YouTube channel may help you out if the videos are in English.

murankar

Staff member
Apologize I got her name wrong. Anyhow here is a link to a video on her channel so you can look her up.

Top Bottom