Quad If I was to get a quad

Slobberdog

Well guys I have been having a lot of fun with my heli's, but am thinking of getting a quad,

I think my options would be,

DJI F330 or F450 kit, but unsure what controller to go for, as there is such a wide range of controllers and prices,

Or

Just go for a Blade 350QX, I quite like this option as its ready to run, 3s lipos that I have and the flight modes and gps ready to go,

What's you guys opinions.

Stambo

I reckon half the fun is in the build.
The big question is budget, if you want cheap, building your own is definitely best.
In fact I would suggest this is your best option for your first one.

This frame from Banggood. (Get two, one for spares)

KK2 flight controller. Lot's of help around for these, and I have my 2 dialed in nicely.
Very basic but work well, recommend getting a usb-asp programmer to flash it to latest firmware.

900 to 1000 kv motors and compatible ESCs
8 or 9 inch props

I could link all the parts for mine if you want, that way you have the option of knowing this stuff works together.
You can build for less than $200
I'll assume as you fly heli's that you already have a decent tx.

Last edited:

Lee

If you are thinking of a DJI, try looking at the RCTimer website. They have similar frames to the DJI at a fraction of the price. The KK2.0 LCD board is a great starter board, and easy to set up.
I would like to see one of those new 350QX quads though :)

Stambo

Yeah the YouTube video looks impressive on the 350qx

Just had a look and it does look good, I just worry about crash costs when you have so much tied up in fancy frames and controllers.
And before you decide, do a google search for runaway naza. :)

Slobberdog

Have not decided yet but tbh it looks like it would be a good start for me, its not to badly priced and spares will be so easy to get hold of,

Oh plus I have permission already.

Derek

yeah....the trouser issue, lol....I may wear the trousers in my household, but it's the wife that buys them for me, lol.

Anyway...could you put a link to that USB thing that you were talking about? Im also considering a multi-rotor. I dunno if it will be a tricopter or a quad, but I eventually want a Y6 and that KK2 board really looks "user friendly".

Stambo

Anyway...could you put a link to that USB thing that you were talking about? Im also considering a multi-rotor. I dunno if it will be a tricopter or a quad, but I eventually want a Y6 and that KK2 board really looks "user friendly".

I just checked and HK don't seem to stock it any more but this is the same thing on fleabay.
They can be a bit tricky to get working but there are heaps of tuorials on youtube to help with that.
Then there is the tutorials for flashing the KK2.
Takes a bit of computer savvy or a bit of patience, or both to get it all together but it is well worth it.
The KK2 is so easy to make adjustments on in the field, and if you look up DHDSRACER on youtube he is the man for KK2 tutorials.
I can offer a bit of help too having set up 4 KK2s on 4 different quads.
I am getting better at getting them sorted. The last one took about 10 minutes (1 battery) from testing to flying well.
I strongly recommend quad for the first one, from what I have read tri is a bit harder to set up and are a lot twitchier in flight.

murankar

Staff member
Flite test makes a few inexpensive frames. Check them out, one frame multiple setup options. It can go from tri to hexa.

Top Bottom