idle-up for the first time and a great productive day

taizi

wow what a great day ive had
today after 3 warm-ups with my new V120D02s where i was geting really high and doing very fast flyby's with full turns (something im new to) all in good control and even in a slight breeze

i put the last battery in decided to actually do it, so i switched into idle-up mode and too my surprise was flying like there was nothing different , i was able to quickly get used to what the heli was doing and it flew great with soo much control, soo much in fact that part of me wanted to try flipping it over, but i have my expo set high in the plus range so no chance, but saying that i will now change the settings for when ive practiced a bit more with f-mode

i know this is a basic thing but the last time i ever turned the f-mode on was with my CP3 with the esky TX and the result was the heli shooting skyward like a bullet and then me panicking shutting the throttle and it then slammed into the ground like a missile hence ive been afraid to touch it since

and to finish the day off, ive just finished fitting and setting my new digital servos into my 450 with the flybarless ZYX system and fitted a great looking new canopy, so my esky belt cp450 is now an esky/tarot hybrid, next is to sort out my 250 clone as i think ive figured out what the problem is because the 450 did the same thing and ive cured it so wish me luck hehehehe

IDLE-UP!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Tony

Staff member
Congrats. I remember the first time I did that. It was with a 5200kv motor on my 250. Almost pee'd a little. Then I did it on my 450 and holy crap, I thought the blades were going to fly off lmao.

You are correct about the stability. The faster the head, the more stable the heli is. It's the gyro effect that does it. As for your expo, just and FYI, expo doesn't limit the travel of the servos, it just moves the curves around to it's slower at first, faster toward the end. Dual Rate is what will limit the servo travels. My suggestion is to have at least two settings for DR/Expo, three if you have that option. For my Edge 540T, I have Low, Mid, and High range programmed in for different flying styles. Just depends on my mood and if I'm shaking that day or not lmao.

Congrats again. Next time, get it on video and find a way to upload it. :biggrin1:

Derek

I remember my first Idle up experience. Umm, yeah!

Congrats on your experience buddy!

taizi

thanks guys, i cant believe i didnt crash it, i wont let it go to head though lol

yeah Tony ive learnt most of what i know now from your vids,ive always set the expo to about +40% because it made the heli's less twitchy for me, on the v120 i have position 0 at 100% DR and the expo is at +20% with pos 1 at 70% DR and +40% expo for flying indoors, but now i know i can control it better i will pull the expo down to the negative with 100% travel in pos 0

the V120 is the most stable thing ive personally seen or flown i can even let go of the controls in hover and it just sits there, my flying is actually good, its just my confidence with the bigger ones, oh well time to grow a pair and really fly properly with the big ones

Westy

LEGEND
Congrats dude! ..... great job.....
the other thing to note is that idle up is really for sports flying ..... you know flips, barrels rolls, flips with rollouts and hard torque turns. if you want to get more into it than that.... you are better off setting up ID2 and go nuts...

I noticed a huge difference when I set up my ID2 throttle curve to 100 all the way through ... this way you are at full head speed all the time and the only thing that will bog you down is too much pitch.

I was trying barrel rolls and having trouble with them looking really untidy ... when I thought ... Hang on.... it is dropping when flipping because my throttle curve in ID1 was going down to 80% .... this caused a lag in power .... anyway that was my experience with it ... could have been the high weight of the 600 heli?? .....

Tony

Staff member
I can't stress this enough, but DO NOT GO INTO THE NEGATIVE ON EXPO! Doing that will make just standard hovering almost impossible since it's going to move the servo arm a LOT more with very little stick input. At the most, go to INH, or turn off the expo. But even then, I would still keep some in it. On my Edge, I'm still running +65% expo in high rates to help control it while taking off and landing. My low rates are still at +20%.

Lee

Well done dude. It is nerve wracking the first time. but it does;t have to be, as long as your curves are set up correctly.

Graham Lawrie

I can remember mine well as it was not that long ago:) It was the power that got me, heart was racing and still does when i think about it:) Second time was the opposite as my blades popped off:(

murankar

Staff member
Make sure your threads are clean prior to thread locking. I just went through and did a bunch of checking to make sure everything was tight.

taizi

well an update
been flying again in idle up and now it seems natural ive surprised myself how well i can fly my little 120, i even did it abit with my 450, however i tried to fine tune the 450 and now all it does is spin round like a top aaaarrgh!! , if it aint broke dont fix it huh lol (think ive narrowed it down to the gyro sens settings on the ZYX and if it is i can then get my poor 250 in the air after not flying for 4 months)

Top Bottom