General Ideal Flying Spot

Matt

I’ve found the ideal flying spot is:

1. wide open field with grass that’s about 4” to 5” long
2. without too many trees because it’s easy to lose these heli’s in the trees
3. not too many people around because, personally people make me nervous

And me too is out of the micro market. You’re absolutely right about the micros.. they are a lot less stable.. they’re cheaper to crash but they’re more than a handful..

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's great on a new flying spot Matt. You don't need people to make you nervous. Those micro are hard enough to fly without distraction too. Try getting your self a 450. Very stable and lot more fun to fly.

Admiral

Well done Matt, good flying spots are hard to come by always seems to be some objection unless you own the land yourself.
Sounds like it's time to move up a class from micros.

Matt

I’m hooked on anything bigger than a micro and somewhat hooked on anything bigger than a 250 class.

Admiral

Back when I was learning I graduated from Micro to 300 class, Blade SR & Twister Gold both flybarred both far to twitchy to learn on, while the newer 300 class are FBL with rescue are a lot better I'd still recommend going up to 450 size as a minimum.
The bigger they are the easier they are to fly but the more expensive they are to repair, 450/380 are a good compromise.

murankar

Staff member
I personally woukd suggest a 550 for the first one along with a sim. Maybe start ona 360 for the beginning flights. Yes crashes are cheap. But as soon as you can upgrade to a 550. Your leaning will grow faster than you think.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Seriously, a 550 for a beginner one. Besides getting a simulator, he better invest in diapers too then :chuckles:. Just the sound of the heli spooling up will make him poop and pea himself :rotflmao:I agree with Admiral and invest in a 450 size minimum. No need to jump into deep waters if you can't swim :2c:

murankar

Staff member
IRCHA recommended the Gaui X5 for many many years for beginners. They were so confident in that size that if you were a member and in training it was discounted. With the 550 it has the entire flight envelope as a 700. This means that a beginner could learn to properly auto a heli. A 500 just barely misses this part of learning. While you might be able to auto it, its better on a 550.

Matt

Personally, I'd recommend a 450 or a 500. A 500 is a little more stable than a 450. Once someone learns to hover the whole envelope of flying opens up. I would definitely invest in a SIM. I did spend a lot of time on the SIM to learn how to hover inverted. I'd go to the SIM to learn everything else before I try it on a real heli.

Personally, I'd like to learn how to do rainbows. I think that is the next step after learning how to flip, roll, hover inverted, etc.

Matt

This is a rainbow.. and I think doing it a little quicker is a Tick Tock..

It is easier said than done..

murankar

Staff member
Yes rainbows teach you tick tocs. Once you learn to control rainbows you can then tighten it up to a tick toc if you wish.

Matt

Bert Kammerer & Bobby Watts have a whole series on YouTube for learning 3D.. 3D is the only thing I'm interested in.. I've always had an interest in doing "tricks" with just about everything I've done over the years..

But there is such a learning curve with these helis, but once done some of this stuff, it's like accomplishing something significant..

Top Bottom