450 I would be gratefull if someone could post a video.

Hi guys, I 'm desperate for a video of a 450 heli hovering. More specific I need to see what is the behavior of your heli if you take hands of the sticks for 3-4 seconds. Or 2-3 secs! That could encourage me as my mini titan 325 with an elevated tail rotor needs some weight on the front to balance it, which I've done, together with some mechanical trim on the swash to eliminate the translating tendency effect. It's quite stable but when hands off the sticks for a couple of secs it has some weird behavior. I think.. Any posts and I owe you one!

Geena

Staff member
I`ll try and get you a video of my X3 later on today, as long as the wind does not pick up too bad. It`s kinda hard to do hands off with 15 mph winds..lol

Smoggie

Not really very relevant to your flybar 450, but it gives you an idea of the stability of larger FBL helis.. This is my Compass 7HV (700 size) hovering 'hands-off' with e $25 Kbar FBL controller:

Tony

Staff member
Just remember, a collective pitch helicopter is like trying to balance a marble on a sheet of glass while sitting shotgun in the passenger seat of a car going down the road. Every action is going to have to be countered by an opposite reaction and the outside forces (car turning in this example) will also act on it. An example of this is a wind gust or in your case, a tail heavy condition.

Tony

Staff member
Mechanical as in adjusting swash links or something like that is perfectly fine. Just don't try to use trim to level out the helicopter. Subtrim is fine depending on gyro while setting it up, but you don't want to mess with anything in the Tx after you are done setting it up.

Tony, I have to tell you what I have dove. Because my heli tends to drift left sideways, although the swash was perfectly leveled, I had to use a further little bit of sub trim to cancel this drifting out. I moved the aileron servo some units downwards and the pitch servo by the same amount upwards. In linear pitch curve at zero degrees despite this adjustment the servo arms still looks vertical to the rods. And this drifting finally has been cancelled. However I want to change my tail boom sometime with a new spare I have, just in case the existing boom does not keep the tail rotor shaft at the level which is supposed to be. Perpendicular to the axis of the boom. This what I call mechanical trimming.

Tony

Staff member
That trimming, again depending on what gyro you are running if any, I wouldn't do unless you know it will not mess with the gyro. What happens is if you add trim or subtrim to the Tx, the gyro thinks it is constantly trying to be moved via the cyclic and it will not be anywhere near as stable as it should be. But, if it is stable, then run with it.

murankar

Staff member
Flybared helis will have drift regardless. While you can take your hand off the sticks and still hover. But yes if you have a perfectly level swash with a perfectly balanced and leveled flybar you should get it to hover perfectly still for a few seconds.

Keep in mind with a flybar you are the fbl controller. The only way it will stay in one spot is through your corrections.

If you still have a drift then your mechanical setup is not dead nuts perfect (good luck). So give a few right clicks of trim and see what happens.

USAF_Ret

Flybared helis will have drift regardless. While you can take your hand off the sticks and still hover. But yes if you have a perfectly level swash with a perfectly balanced and leveled flybar you should get it to hover perfectly still for a few seconds.

Keep in mind with a flybar you are the fbl controller. The only way it will stay in one spot is through your corrections.

If you still have a drift then your mechanical setup is not dead nuts perfect (good luck). So give a few right clicks of trim and see what happens.
I don't necessarily agree with that you always have drift with a fly bar setup. I have a Blade 4503D and after setting up all the mechanics correctly (swash level and pitch range correctly) I would initially have some drifting. I simply used the Tx trim buttons to get the heli to stop drifting. After that, everything is pretty stable.

Paul

murankar

Staff member
That's basically what I said. Flybared helis are going to drift. I was able to hover hands off for a couple seconds with my protos mini. I had that thing dialed in but I still had to give input to get to hover in one spot .

Top Bottom