Power Supply's I was thinking it was silly to use Server power on RC ...Until

sarconastic

I am an It guy and know the capabilities reliable of Server power supplies very well. but have never found them or regular PC supplies to be a very good source of reliable power. Though they are capable of a lot of current and will do what you want they are not very trustworthy if your going to move them around a lot, and they have a tendency to go nuts on unmanaged ac power sometimes.

With that being said I was of a mind I should post an article on here telling everyone to pick up a supply like mine on ebay or something since it puts out 35 amps and is variable from 6-15V, that's 3600 watts. I bought mine used a FEW years back from a fellow RC racer used for $40. It is a pyramid exactly like this one at PYRAMID PS36KX 35A Adjustable Power Supply : Power supplies | RadioShack.com .

Apparently it has been a while since I purchased a power supply, because this one is now around $350. So thanks Tony for the power supply ideas. I have scrapped several supplies over the years. They go on the shelf now, LOL> Next time I will do more research before I get judgmental.

One thing I can help on though is how to control those fans on the power supplies better. It takes a little learning but research a device called an Arduino. It is a microcontroller and It is able to control PWM (Pulse WIdth Modulated) motors (pc fans) and read temp sensors. It would take a little wiring but it could monitor the temp of the supplies and ramp the supplies fans up and down accordingly. with a motor control shield it would be even easier. This Woody's Time.: How to Build an Arduino Robot on a Budget - The Woody Bot article is about the Arduino and there is a link to it on the bottom of the page for $15 and the cost of a temp probe, maybe 3 bucks. and your in business.

Thanks

Woody

Top Bottom