I need a flying day!

Blade_flyer

I'm about done with winter! I need to get out and fly. The simulator just isn't cutting it anymore....I need some actual stick time. I thought flying the little Inductrix around the house would do, but I need to get outside.

We've had a couple of nice days this weekend. Temps got into the 60's but with it came the wind. I was hoping to fly on Sunday, but it was way too gusty out. I have work to do on the plane, but I can't seem to get motivated to do it. I would like to paint it before spring.... I also need to build the RCH 540 Edge. I have all I need to get that done. Maybe this week I will transfer the templates to the foamboard then if the weather isn't nice enough to fly, I can mount the electronics and motor.

I'd rather be flying...

holtneil

Hi mate I know what you mean ,winter blues , the winter lasts so much longer than the summer , roll on the summer

Blade_flyer

Yeah, I'm just whining!!! Actually, we have had a very mild winter this year. I was flying on Christmas weekend. It was 70 degrees out! Tomorrow it is supposed to be 65-70 degrees but with the threat of maybe severe weather. I don't mind flying in cooler weather as long as the sun is out and wind is light. It's not bad if I can stay out comfortably in a sweatshirt but It looses the fun if I need to put on the coat. Hate numb thumbs!

With any luck, weather will stay mild and I can get some weekends out! Praying for an early spring...

trainrider06

I was born and raised in Ohio, I know what ya mean about winter! But even though the winters are short down here in Texas the wind ain't! It just blows and blows it seems! If it was just a 5-10 mph winds that would be ok, but a good bit of the time it's 5-10 with 20-30 gusts! :( makes for few and far fly days....then the heat...uhhhgggg!

Blade_flyer

Yes, I'm very aware of the winds. I lived in Oklahoma City back in the early 80's and if the wind wasn't blowing at lease 10-15 mph, you were wondering what was wrong. I don't mind the wind as much as the next guy, but really, every day?! I'm glad I wasn't into RC back then...

trainrider06

I was so desperate to fly this 450 I'd just put together one time, and the wind was blowing about 20-25mph. The direction I was flying was left to right of me, I took off into the wind, and the tail was almost straight up flying into it, comming back around the heli was pushed hard once I banked it, then it flew past about 600mph....lol
Got it back around and landed went home....cleaned drawers out...lol

holtneil

Hi Rodney for that wind you need 630 or a 770 it will fly well in the wind , so now you have a good reason to get a big goblin in the fleet

Smoggie

Weather is diabolical here too. By the end of the first week in January we had broken the 'since records began' total rainfall record of the whole of January:frown: Lots of flooding, property damage, washed out bridges and roads, an entire holiday caravan park floated off down the river and out to sea! Now it's constant storms sweeping in, they recorded over 130mph winds on a hilltop not far from here on Friday. On the plus side it's very mild, in fact it's warmer than some days we had in 'the summer that never came' last year.

I'm not sure what's going on with the weather 'climate change' probably. I liked the idea of climate change when they called it 'global warming'.. Hotter, less rain, a mediterranean type climate for Scotland.....give me some of that i thought:biggrin-new: But no we just get even wetter and even windier weather the whole year round:blue:

But you have to take the flying opportunities when they come. Yesterday was the brief lull between storm Gertrude and storm Henry and turned out to be a nice day. I got four fixed wing flights and six with the helis.

trainrider06

Hi Rodney for that wind you need 630 or a 770 it will fly well in the wind , so now you have a good reason to get a big goblin in the fleet

One of these days I hope Neil! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you got our spring we had Smoggie! Only worse! What worries me is we usually have some of the worst doughs after these wet years, the drought years seem to follow, for 4-5 years in a row. Depending on the severity of the wet year depends on the drought and how long it lasts. If this spring is any indication, we are gonna be in trouble come drought time!

Blade_flyer

I remember flying the quad one day in 25 mile an hour winds almost lost the darn thing. I took it up and I told myself I wasn't going to fly more than 10 feet off the ground. I was playing around next thing I know it was 50 feet up and heading down wind. when I hit return to home it went the total opposite direction. I learned a valuable lesson that day... Keep it up wind from home!

- - - Updated - - -

Today was a beautiful flying day too bad I had to work. By the time I got home from work I had other responsibilities so alas I couldn't fly today maybe next weekend we'll see. Bad thing about our field. This time of year, the sun in in your face in the afternoons.

trainrider06

Ah yeah! Those dang jobs....seems whenever the weather is just perfect to fly that dang job gets in the way! It's quite the double edge sword huh? Work/no time to fly when weather good, quit job and have lots of available time to fly/but no heli's or planes cuz one had to eat....just no good answer....:( lol

Top Bottom