600 I Have Another 600 Nitro...

Tony

Staff member
To work on that is lmao. A member (to remain nameless unless he posts in here) sent the helicopter to me to get it running correctly since he was having some issues.

Lets face it though, nitro can be intimidating to someone that is just starting out. This heli is not small and can cause damage if it hits person or property. And along with that, you have to get the tuning right or you will burn up an engine which is quite costly to rebuild. And if you crash, you are out a few hundred bucks in repairs.

So the helicopter is sitting at my house waiting on me to get there and once I do I will put it together and get to working on it.

The reason for this thread is to ask if you all would like a video on this process that I'm going to go through? From taking it out of the box to putting it together to tuning it (and not burning up the clutch lmao) and getting it stable in the air. So do you want to see some videos on this?

Now the member did forget to put the little USB link in the box for the Skookum so I may have to toss on another gyro to get all of the work done while I wait for that piece to be delivered. And I have a Brain sitting in a box just waiting for a heli to go on so that will be perfect. And it has bluetooth on it, I think. Not sure, it's been a while lol.

Just let me know if you want to see a video on what I do to setup a helicopter. I'm sure it's going to be a few videos (repair and diag. setting up the gyro. restoring factory defaults to the helicopter. setting up the Tx for the new heli. then just the flight where I will do a rough tuning of the engine)

One thing to note is this engine is going to be run a few thousand feet higher in the air (above sea level) than what I have at my house so the tuning is going to be very rough. Basically the higher the altitude the leaner you have to run the engine. You will make about 5% less power per 1000' you go up. So it will make more power here than it will there. Not a big deal though since neither one of us are smack pilots lol.

Lillyryan

Yes man lets see some build vids on that or some live Facebook. If you go live put a message up so we know what time your on lol

Tony

Staff member
Had something happen that I didn't expect. I went out to the garage/studio to shoot the video on the goggles and found out there is a rather large wasp nest out there. So shooting that video was a little hard with them flying around. Took an hour and a half to shoot an unboxing and build. So I decided to tear everything apart here in the house on the kitchen table. And a 600 heli torn apart on the kitchen table takes up the whole kitchen table lmao.

I will see what I can do about the live stream though.

Tony

Staff member
So I now need to get some servo horn screws, a main shaft and a DFC link. Lets just say, the first spool up didn't go quite as planned... Could have been a lot worse, that is for sure. My biggest fear is crashing a large heli, and it damn near happened today.

But here is the good thing, I'm finally learning how to setup a Skookum 540 lol. There is a whole crapload of steps, but it pretty much takes you by the hand and talks stupid to you so you get it right lmao. Just finished modifying the Align governor sensor so that it will work with the 540. Now, we have a gov that is not align lmao.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
I would like to see setup video's it would help me and I'm sure it would help the dumb guy who can't get it in the air LOL!

Tony

Staff member
Before everyone goes flaming smattext for calling the owner the "dumb guy", well, I think you all can figure it out lmao.

I will do some setup videos when I get everything figured out. I think I have the 540 figured out, now I just need to repair it and get to know that engine in this setup. Going to take a bit to get done, but it will get done, eventually lol.

Tony

Staff member
Alright guys, I have this helicopter torn apart again on my kitchen table. I had to replace the starter shaft, the clutch bearing (which required removing the engine) and the clunk in the tank (in case that is what was causing the lean issue with the engine.

As of this time, my wife has the other parts to finish the setup on this helicopter, so tomorrow morning I will install the rest of the parts and set the gyro up again. This time, a complete setup since we are replacing the servo horns. Once that is done, I will take it outside for a test flight.

I'm hoping that I can get the gyro setup on video, but first thing in the morning I have got to take my truck in for an oil change. I'm way past due and I'm sure I have lost my warranty (it's free for me, but you guys know how busy I have been. And lets face it, the warranty means nothing if it gets repo'd).

I would love to get the gyro setup on video, but I'm not sure if I'm going to have time. I have to leave out Sunday afternoon and get my next load and head to north central Kansas for an 0800 delivery Monday morning. So that is putting a damper on getting it all done. But I will try.

Tony

Staff member
Got all of the new parts put on the helicopter and she went in the air. Wind was a little gusty but it flies and is not overheating. Not hear anyway. Scott, I said this in the video to you, but run this engine tuned as it is. It's going to make less power than it does here and you may not hear it hit 2200 rpm head speed up there, but just run with it for a while. Get a feel for the helicopter before tuning the engine. It's tuned fat right now and that is the way you want it. Once you get your DR/Expo settings where you want them, once you get the gyro setup the way you want, fly quite a few tanks through it and get used to it. After that, then you can start tuning the engine for more power if you need it. But I flew it for about 7 minutes total today and only used up half a tank. You are probably going to use more fuel up there than what I do here though.

Tony

Staff member
Here is the file that I have for the DX9 with my Tx setup with the Skookum. This is the exact file I used to put it in the air. As stated, you are going to have to set it up as your own, but the throttle curves need to remain the same to keep your governor working like it's supposed to. Let me know if you have any questions.

View attachment 015~9 Scott 600N.SPM

Top Bottom