Trucks I Have A Broken Rc Truck

Orion

I have a mad man JJR/C truck. I was driving it at a beach, which it should be able to do, and all of a sudden it stopped driving. The wheels turn, but the motor will not drive. I have checked the connections, cleaned out all important areas of sand, and it still wouldn't do anything. I am fairly certain that it is a brushed motor, and i'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but I need help.

Here is a link to the truck:

Amazon product

Tony

Staff member
It is definitely a brushed motor, 390 size. My guess is the brushes are wore out in the motor in which case you just need to replace it. But use a volt meter and verify voltage coming from the ESC into the motor. If you have voltage then it is definitely the motor.

Orion

I tested the connections on the motor, and there was no voltage. I don't have a volt meter so I used a small LED light, and it would not turn on. what should I do now?

Tony

Staff member
You should really get a volt meter for testing like this. You can pick them up for very cheap on ebay or amazon or even locally if you have a harbor freight in your area. A lot of times there is a coupon for a free one with any purchase. So if you purchase a $0.25 keyring, you get a free multimeter. I have one and it does the job.

But if you are 100% sure there is no voltage, then it is likely one of the FET's in the ESC burnt and the only fix (unless you are REALLY good as soldering micro components) is to replace the ESC.

Tony

Staff member
That is going to depend on what is in there. Obviously it is a brushed ESC which are pretty cheap. But you would need one that is the same size as the one you have. Not only in amps, but also in physical size. Best way is to search "1/12th scale Brushed ESC" and see what comes up and compare it to the one that you have now.

RandyDSok

I tested the connections on the motor, and there was no voltage. I don't have a volt meter so I used a small LED light, and it would not turn on. what should I do now?

LED lamps aren't a good way to measure... they are typically only 1.5v and burn out too quickly and considering that has a likely max output of 7.4v ( based on the lipo ), you may have killed the LED you used to check it with if you had the polarity correct. Which brings up another fact about LED's... they are polarity sensitive. They only work if the + and - are hooked up properly otherwise they won't light up.

tntpoof

a led would be fine to test a esc voltage.. as long as its 12v there are many or just use a 1157 brake light use bulb socket many chap voltage meters. if you have the space id just use a traxxas xl5 i do think theres xl 2.5 for 1/18 scale and small rc

Top Bottom