450 I hate winter :-(

Rico

Hi there Guys, is there any one that fly in Winter time with your 450's, i would like to know how mutch Wind thy can take before thy tilt, i usualy fly in high sunshine and like 1 to 3 ms Wind, my bird is just colecting dust and she realy needs some fresh air, im not an experince pilot but i dont crash any more, well i will crash in way too high Wind hehe.

Ken Jackson

Hi there Guys, is there any one that fly in Winter time with your 450's, i would like to know how mutch Wind thy can take before thy tilt, i usualy fly in high sunshine and like 1 to 3 ms Wind, my bird is just colecting dust and she realy needs some fresh air, im not an experince pilot but i dont crash any more, well i will crash in way too high Wind hehe.

I am more of a 500 guy but I still flew my 450 in the wind up to 10 - 15 mph winds. If you have a flight simulator on your computer make sure you have the wind turned on. The only way to get better at flying in the wind is to fly in the wind. Just don't do gusty winds. Anything that is changing directions or moving up and down unpredictably don't fly. But a steady wind basically from one direction should not stop you.

Haven't you heard crashing because of wind is the most over used excuse, LOL.

Ken

I flew every chance I got last winter.

cml001

I started RC with planes... One day, about a month into my piloting career if you will, I went to fly my P-47, I got to the field and my buddy John was there.... mainly a heli guy... Was RIP'N up the sky with his 600.... I watched and noticed others we're fighting the wind.... Blowing hard... I had yet to plug in a battery... Nervous cause I was a newbi around people I didn't know and the wind was intimidating. John said let's see that Thunderbolt in the air... I said no.. Too windy... then he unknowingly gave me advise in don't be a puss kinda way.... In a sarcastic manner of course.... He said "if you won't fly when it's windy, I'll see you two or three times a year!" Ever since then wind doesn't scare me... Just fly with it... I mean don't go spool up in a hurricane, but you can do it in 10-15... Even more depending....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, do watch for translational lift with strong gust tho... I tend to ramble and I'm sure someone else can explain this better... Anyone care to chime in on translational lift???

Rico

thanks for the replay, and what about the frost ??
how low temp can the servos and esc and motor take ???

Tony

Staff member
I usually try not to run them in anything below 0c. They can and will run below this, but the bigger the temp swing (from outside to inside), the more chance that you will get condensation inside the electronics when you bring it back inside.

Ken Jackson

I agree about the condensation, coming back in but as long as you don't power anything up for several hours it should be fine. Also when going outside to fly after being in the house you need to give the electronics especially the gyro to get to the outside air temperature. The gyro will not work right if you walk outside and take off immediately, the temperature has to equalize.

Also if it's so cold you need gloves, its too cold in my opinion. It takes a great deal of concentration as it is so if your cold you won't be as focused as you should be. There are hand warmers but there are also flight simulators.

Good Luck,
Ken

Tony

Staff member
The gyro issue is more for piezoelectric gyros more so than MEMS gyros, which is what most gyros are now days. But I agree, you should let things acclimate to the temp where you are going to be flying for 15-30 minutes before powering it up.

Rico

well i guess it is going to take a long time before i can fly againe, thy just said in TV that we will get hard storm and snow soon :(
but it is nice to know what the Electronic can take :)
thanks againe for some great replays :)

Tony

Staff member
It's our pleasure Rico! That is what we are here for. If there is anything else we can help with, all you have to do is ask.

pvolcko

I just so happened to post a video of some cold weather, snow in the air and on the ground flying: 550 X Pro Flights - Page 7

First flight didn't last too long. Thumbs froze up. Bought a transmitter "glove" and all is right with the world again. :) Check it out.

Only acclimation I let the heli do was in the walk out and powering it up. Maybe 5 minutes tops. Didn't consider condensation on the return back inside. If it were coming into or out of a high humidity environment, I might, but cold outside to heated room inside (and relatively near the gas stove, no less), I'm not too worried about it. But I will refrain from powering up those models for a few hours to let them come up to temp and evaporate any condensate. Thanks for the tip! :)

stokke

Hey there Rico :D I fly all year here in Norway, and it's not a problem. My limit for flying is -15°C. I use a transmitter glove with built in heating, a few separate hand warmers, full winter clothing and a winter coverall on top of that. There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing :D LOL Good luck flying!

murankar

Staff member
Just one thing to think about. If you run a belt driven tail You will want to ensure the belt is a bit loose. When you go from a 70-80 degree f. indoor temp to a 32 degree f. temp outdoors your belt will shrink do to the cold. If the belt is set at normal tension it could pull to tight and break.

Just something else to think of.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Rico

hey stroke, is allways hard storm up there like here in denmark??
it is the storm and rain im most consearn about, i do have a simulator but it is not as funny as the real thing hehe
but im sitting tight and wait for the minus degreeds to come, then it is normaly com out side :)

- - - Updated - - -

hey muranker, nice to know about the belt tension, i dident think about that, but i have to wait till we got minus degreeds here, right now we have a hard storm and alot of rain and snow, so i think i will take the bird apart and lupe the barings and ajust her so she is perfict for thenext flight :)

murankar

Staff member
To be honest it too never thought about it. I was listening to rc heli nation episode 60 or 61 and the topic was torque tube vs. Belt. I think it was Justin or Nick who had mentioned that as a bad point about belts.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

wolfman76

there was another member on here that i think mentioned sumthin about a tx glove that surrounds the tx and you put your hands inside to stay warm....

Top Bottom