Projects I had some fun today

Derek

Even though I have either lost or misplace my "buddy box" cable, today was a fun day flying. My cousin has expressed an interest in learning to fly rc planes. He's seen my foam board planes and he likes what he sees. I was going to set up the buddy box so that he could fly with me today but I can't seem to find that darn cable. I just had it Sunday. So....moving on.

After getting my RCH Trainer all plugged in and read to fly, I was tapping on the throttle so that i could taxi to a safe take off area and there was a small puff of smoke from the plane. Bummer.....the magic smoke has escaped my ESC. Ok..unplug it and set it aside. This was replaced shortly after I got home. Flying tomorrow.

I flew my EA Delta Wing...that thing is just awesome fun!!!

I was flying my RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane, as well. I have a 70gram 1000kv motor and a 10x5 prop on it right now. It flies and it flies well. It doesn't have the power/speed to be a fantasic 3D plane....yet. I will order a new motor for it soon. However, I do have some 3D settings programmed into the DX8 and I just have to flip the AIL D/R switch to access the high rates. So, I take the plane up high..two-three mistakes high, and I flip the switch. Now...I have 75% D/R and 60% expo on the ailerons.....85% D/R and 60% expo on the elevator....55% D/R and 20% expo on the rudder. Even though this plane is not the "screaming demon" that I want it to be, it performs very well. I was able to fly it with low rates very casually...then flip the switch to high rates and this plane is so much fun. It has very tight loops, insane rolls, impressive hammer heads, and flies inverted very well. Because of the lack of power of the motor, it will not hover, but it's close. I can't wait to get the new motor.

Unfortunately, we did forget the camera, but I wasn't really worried about it because I was out with my wife, my cousin, and his two kids. We were just having a good time. I'll be sure to bring the camera tomorrow and we'll get some video of the RCH Edge 540.

murankar

Staff member
Finally someone got some feed back on the 540. Sounds like it had just enough to get in the air and stay in the air. Whats the plan for the motor?

Tony

Staff member
Good deal Derek. One thing to remember, on high rates (45º throws), this plane is made to fly very very slow. The definition of 3D is flying BELOW stall speed. Now you can practice your harriers, knife edges and so on.

You are REALLY making me want to pull my 50" Edge 540 down and fly it this weekend lmao. May just do that. Might bring the 40" Edge as well. hehe.

Derek

Finally someone got some feed back on the 540. Sounds like it had just enough to get in the air and stay in the air. Whats the plan for the motor?

Yeah, man!!! I'm loving this plane!!! I might need to work out some kind of landing gear pretty soon. I have well over 12 flights on this plane so far. I'm using a 3s 1100mAh 20C lipo and I get a bit more than 4 minutes flight time right now. I'm putting the battery on the charger and making a note of how many mAh are getting put back into the battery. The plan for the motor is this:

Exceed RC Rocket 2215-1700KV Brushless Motor for RC Plane

It's a 60 gram motor, 1700kv, 14-26amps (i'll get a 40amp esc). Tony suggested this motor with an 8x4 prop.

Last edited:

Derek

Good deal Derek. One thing to remember, on high rates (45º throws), this plane is made to fly very very slow. The definition of 3D is flying BELOW stall speed. Now you can practice your harriers, knife edges and so on.

You are REALLY making me want to pull my 50" Edge 540 down and fly it this weekend lmao. May just do that. Might bring the 40" Edge as well. hehe.

Well, with the setup that I have now, Tony, the plane does fly slow. That's for sure! It may even fly a bit too slow, but that could just be me. Quite possible! I can see that we are going to need some video, so that you all can see what I'm working with. I set the dual rates into the DX8 last week, just in case I felt "daring" and wanted to try. My cousin tossed the plane and it was flying! I was feeling daring, lol. I flipped the switch and, because of the expo, I was still able to fly the plane around very casually, then bang the sticks around when I wanted to, just to see what would happen. I gotta say...I'm loving this plane. I've got my video camera on the charger right now so that it will be ready to go tomorrow. I will have no excuses tomorrow. I'll get the plane in the air and fly around a bit, then I'll flip the switch for some action.

The more that I think about it, I don't think that I even tried to do a harrier or hover at all...but I can tell you this....when it's time to land....this plane is DEFINITELY the smoothest landing plane that I have. I can drop it within 5 steps of my feet. Anyway....video tomorrow!!

Awesome! Nice when you can incorporate the family in something you love doing and have a bit of passion about!
Keep up the good work dude!

Hi Jonathan! It was an awesome day. The weather was excellent and I had some family out with me. Despite the burned up esc, it was a great day of flying.

Derek

Awesome! Nice when you can incorporate the family in something you love doing and have a bit of passion about!

Thanks Jon! My wife has been supportive since I started this addiction/obsession/passion...whatever it's called, lol. She even flies with me on the buddy box, from time to time. Now, I have my cousin getting interested. Very cool!!!

I'm going to have to teach one of my own moderators how to multi-quote lmao. It's the very bottom video lol. I will learn you yet hehe.

RC-Help.com - Rc-Help How-To

ok Tony! I watched the video. I think it got it now, lol...

Derek

Thanks Jon! My wife has been supportive since I started this addiction/obsession/passion...whatever it's called, lol. She even flies with me on the buddy box, from time to time. Now, I have my cousin getting interested. Very cool!!!

I'm going to have to teach one of my own moderators how to multi-quote lmao. It's the very bottom video lol. I will learn you yet hehe.

RC-Help.com - Rc-Help How-To

ok Tony! I watched the video. I think it got it now, lol...

Nice one!!
i'm struggling to get the wife involved with the RC stuff, have had more luck getting her involved in the whole cycling thing. I'm sure she'll get more excited when she gets to have a break from junior!! lol
He'll certainly be getting involved... i'll make him damn it hahaha
It's very cool dude!!

EyeStation

Hey there Derek, I got some video. Way short, but some video.
First lift off, not enough throttle. wind came and tipped it to the left.
[video=youtube_share;Iol3VAzdz-o]http://youtu.be/Iol3VAzdz-o[/video]
The second attempt, great lift off, fun into the wind. Once I turned and got the wind at my tail, the plane rocketed to an abrupt landing. lol.
[video=youtube_share;RRxmF1kmyNQ]http://youtu.be/RRxmF1kmyNQ[/video]

The 1700 kV motor has quite a bit of power. My 8x4 prop broke on the maiden flight landing, so I tossed on the 8x6 I had in the box for the above two videos.

I can say, the only damage to the plane with 3 contacts with terra firma was loosing the foam under my battery, the lower front section of the profile nose.

Have to re-cut the fuse, and put the wing, rudder and elevator back on.

Derek

WOW! Tons of power!!! After watching your video, maybe the 1700kv motor is too much. I have two 540's built. Maybe I'll use the 1700kv motor and a 1500 (if I can ever find one in stock). That way we can determine some plus's and minus's for different motors.

Thanks for sharing the videos, Eyestation! I hope you can get your 540 back together and back in the air. I'll have some video tonight.

Tony

Staff member
If it's too much power, then put a lighter pitch prop on it. Say you are using a 8x4, go to an 8x3. Remember, these things don't want to fly at full throttle. Full throttle is meant for pulling out of stunts fast, or doing snaps and such.

wolfman76

Nice one!!
i'm struggling to get the wife involved with the RC stuff, have had more luck getting her involved in the whole cycling thing. I'm sure she'll get more excited when she gets to have a break from junior!! lol
He'll certainly be getting involved... i'll make him damn it hahaha
It's very cool dude!!

Ours all good man as i said to you already keep pumping rc sounds into the womb and he will be hooked from birth...lol

Top Bottom