Kits I got my eyes on this

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
3DH-41EDGE-O-IMG1.jpg

RandyDSok

It's a fun little plane.... I'd recommend to get the recommended motor and equipment if you can... on the servo's... if you can go with the HS-65HB's instead... they are a little heavier but if you don't get the hinges in just right they won't care as much as the HS-45HB's

These are very popular and as far as I know.. all of the main distributors and also 3DHS are out... they should be restocked in about a month more or less.

View attachment 1270

Last edited:

RandyDSok

I thought I wasn't very observant... but tr911 I think you just beat me...

My sig has the current planes that I fly... LOL

After today, I do have two down though... they simply need some minor landing gear repairs. A couple of weeks back, I was having elevator issues on my 51" Slick and rolled the gear out coming in hot for a landing... Today I lost the gear on my 46" Vyper when I either had a gust push me down or lost the wind about 2 foot up... Both can be fixed quickly if I just do it.

I do also have two others... a foamy P-51 that I probably won't fly again any time soon ( I'm not a foamy plane fan )... And an Eflight Pitts Model 12 that I need to get servo's and an ESC/SBEC for when I get some budget for them...

Now if you want to pick on someone for having a lot of planes... that would be Louis that you are looking for... He hasn't even posted pic's for 1/2 of what he has in his hanger yet... I believe he also has a 57" Extra 330 SC

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That Edge is a beautiful plane, and I may get one like it to replace my Edge. I just don't want to spend the time piecing things together after folding the landing gears up on it this morning. So, Just buy another fuse, go back flying, and that will give me time to get this one fixed.

from everything that I have heard about those, they are great kits.

Tony

Staff member
That Edge is a beautiful plane, and I may get one like it to replace my Edge. I just don't want to spend the time piecing things together after folding the landing gears up on it this morning. So, Just buy another fuse, go back flying, and that will give me time to get this one fixed.

from everything that I have heard about those, they are great kits.

RandyDSok

As I mentioned... I love my 41" Edge... tough as nails, fly's very well and what I really like is the size makes it easy to toss into the car without taking off the wings like I have to on my 4ft+ planes...

Still, 3DHS also has a 48" in two different color schemes that I'd love to have also... It has the same tough wire landing gear ( which also keeps costs down from what a carbon fiber gear would run ) and it has an airfoiled tail that allows it to fly at higher speeds without fluttering ( I've never had my 41" flutter btw, airfoiled is just nicer for this area is why I mention it ).

Tony

Staff member
The reason I chose my Edge over the others is because of the airfoil on the tail feathers. at the time I didn't know about 3D Hobby though. Or Extreme Flight. Now I do, and now I can hear my bank account screaming for mercy lol.

RandyDSok

I'll probably have to wait 6 months for the popularity to die out.

Neither 3DHS nor Extreme Flight planes loose popularity ... they are always selling out and actually currently can't make enough to keep up with demand. This issue is even worse for the smaller more affordable airframes. The 41" Edge was released in April or May... it's previous version was a 40" and also sold out all of the time.

RandyDSok

Ok... some news about the 3DHS 41" Edge... actually updated time schedule more or less...

"We expect 41" Edges to be back in stock around the beginning of December.

Noll
3DHS"

I'm not sure what pushed their ETA back a couple of weeks... nothing was mentioned about that and this is still an estimate only even though that comes direct from 3DHS

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Ok, youse airplane dudes. I just bought one of these Edge 540's used and the motor is toast. I knew it up front so no big deal I got it pretty cheap with the servos and esc in good shape. The ESC and servos are the recommended ones by 3DHS. So, I've been looking for a replacement motor. 3DHS recommends a Omega 75g 1100kv and I've been trying to cross ref it. From the looks of it it's basically a Park 480 sized ... right?

Tony

Staff member
I am going to let Randy answer this since he is the 3DHS person. If it was me, I would check all of the rocket and bigfoot motors on hobbypartz. I'm running the .32 bigfoot on the Edge, and the Rocket on the Small Extra 260.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I had a Alpha 370 and it is not gonna do it. Plus it is not long enough for the cowl. You 540 has a 49" wing span mine is 41"

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
The way I decided on my motor is I checked the can diameter, length, weight and KV against what everyone suggests. don't forget to check the watts as well.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Specs on the Omega is Peak Amps: 40A, Peak Watts: 425W, Weight: 72 grams, KV: 1100, Prop mounting diameter: 6mm, Main shaft diamter: 4mm it don't give the length.

RandyDSok

Yes an Eflight Park 480 ( 1020kv... not the 910kv ) will work... but the Omega 72G is a much better motor and cheaper as well as lighter... Everyone that started with a Park 480 and then later switched to the Omega has said they wished they had simply started with the Omega to begin with, it really "wakes" up the plane.

Also the Eflight has a different bolt pattern so you'd need to redrill the motor mount holes... not a tough job but something you don't need if you use the Omega to begin with.

Given a choice just between the one Tony got and the Eflight... I'd go Eflight... He doesn't know it but weight really does make a lot of difference in airframe performance when talking about a 3D airframe.

PS... Sorry for it taking so long for me to get to this thread tonight... I've been researching motors for another airframe to see what's best for that one and I had about 4440 posts ( give or take, 295+ pages with @ 15 posts each ) to go through before tomorrow when we've got a fun fly to attend so I can discuss possible power combinations for a foamy.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Thanks Randy, so to have put more weight on your chest.. I'll go ahead and get the omega.. The guy that had it before me had already drilled the holes for the smaller X.

Oh, and I got to see my first turbine jet today (actually there was two) i was F.A.S.T. It looke kind like a mig with a single turbine. the guy had a F18 also, but he said it was to windy to fly. I got some pics, I'll put them up later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom