General I almost flew my first heli

treff

Testing out the tail holding in the dinning room after a few adjustments thanks to Slobberdog and Lee ( yes that was fine, works really well now) I almost flew the heli was at that moment of takeoff where cyclic controls are working and it is just beginning to drift left with the thrust from the tail rota when.........................nothing. I think they are called brown outs. Sudden loss of power when the receiver lost signal. On the Spectrum receivers a red light flashes the number of time signal is lost. I almost lost control when the motor suddenly cut in again when signal was regained. Brown trousers moment I can tell you. So back to square one but with a lesson learned, do not test in the dinning room. Cheers. Oh by the way does this count for my first flight. LOL

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
if its a dx6i .. just something to look into ..

I used to have brownouts and sent the radio in too for checkup ..

Issue: The battery springs that hold those AA cells get pushed in and loose their spring action and batteries can float loose.. I have two crashes like this. Also found out that grabbing the TX a certain way and pressing in certain points would make the battery to disconnect and cause a "brown out" ... all I did was make sure that those metal thingies were out eough to have a hold on the batteries.. and sometime shove a peice of folded paper behind to give it some hold..

Dont know if this was it.. but a HEADS up

Lee

Good stuff Treff, Please don't fly it again in the house. They look like toys, but they can kill you. As for the brown out??? Very odd.

treff

Good stuff Treff, Please don't fly it again in the house. They look like toys, but they can kill you. As for the brown out??? Very odd.

Yes a lesson learned Lee. Yes its very odd with the rx. Tomorrow if my new receiver does not arrive I will whip out the motor and put a couple of 0.047uf across the output to see if that cures the problem. I may also take the lead of the ESC and put some ferrite beads on the leads. Still getting there slowly but I think I am winning. I think. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

if its a dx6i .. just something to look into ..

I used to have brownouts and sent the radio in too for checkup ..

Issue: The battery springs that hold those AA cells get pushed in and loose their spring action and batteries can float loose.. I have two crashes like this. Also found out that grabbing the TX a certain way and pressing in certain points would make the battery to disconnect and cause a "brown out" ... all I did was make sure that those metal thingies were out eough to have a hold on the batteries.. and sometime shove a peice of folded paper behind to give it some hold..

Dont know if this was it.. but a HEADS up

Thanks coolgabsi, the tx is dx8 and I think the problem is noise from the motor or esc getting into the rx but I am not sure. I have another rx coming so hopfully can swap out to try if not I will put capacitors across the motor and esc to take out the noise spikes. Cheers

Top Bottom