Chargers Hyperion EOSO606i ac/dc

canongraphy

Hey guys,
I purchased the above charger for my batteries that came with my 600 they are
Align lipo 7.4v 1900mah 14Wh 40C for the bec to run the electronics it has an Jst
and a Sky Lipo 6cell 5000mah 30C with 60C burst ec3 connection, the builder left it stock and didn't change the connections.
Sky Lipo isn't mentioned in the adapters, is it made by e-flite? anyone know?
What batteries would you recommend? I know after I get more experience on the 600 I will want at least 40c on the motor battery.
All I wanted was a simple home charger to charge these but seems a simple charger doesn't exist lol
Thanks for your input guys, this site has helped me a ton already, sometime I hope to be able to add to the wealth of experience and info here.
Thanks!
Jeff

stokke

I had that charger before, it's a great unit for beginners! You will have to purchase or make charge leads for each of your connectors.

Like this for example.

canongraphy

I had that charger before, it's a great unit for beginners! You will have to purchase or make charge leads for each of your connectors.

Like this for example.

Hi Marius, thank you for the info, I just ordered both leads I will need and got one for deans too as will eventually have that again.
I am looking to get a soldering iron since my old one is long gone. I am looking at the Weller soldering station station WLC100
I already have a couple helping hands type holders so just need a good iron to hold about 700 degrees. Like everything else there is many to choose from.
Thanks!
Jeff

canongraphy

Hi Marius, thank you for the info, I just ordered both leads I will need and got one for deans too as will eventually have that again.
I am looking to get a soldering iron since my old one is long gone. I am looking at the Weller soldering station station WLC100
I already have a couple helping hands type holders so just need a good iron to hold about 700 degrees. Like everything else there is many to choose from.
Thanks!
Jeff

update
I just bought the Weller noted above it was 44.99 and figure it will do, its not something I will use often but will have it when I need one.

canongraphy

Would anyone care to either explain or make a video showing the proper way to hook your battery up for this charger?
I have the leads coming for this tomorrow but have only used the stock align charger before with no leads.
I know you have to input data and would rather not burn my house down from a noob mistake.
Thanks!

stokke

Make sure the charger is set to LiPo battery. If I remember correctly, after setting LiPo, you use up and down to toggle between charge, discharge, store and cycle. Choose charge.

Now; hit ENTER once. You'll now enter your values - once you have set one value hit ENTER again then you'll be able to edit the next. There are three values to be edited: Cell count, capacity, and charge rate.

Cell count, this one is VERY important to get right! 1S, 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S or 6S.
Capacity, how big your battery is.
Charge rate. How fast the battery is to be charged.

Regarding charge rate; This charger will automatically set the charge rate to 1C based on what battery size you set - so if you don't know your battery's C rating, just leave this setting alone.

C rating explained: A packs charge rate is equal to it's size multiplied with it's C rating. So for example: 1C 2000mah sized battery is charged at max 2.0 Amps. A 3C 2000mah sized battery is charged at max 6.0 Amps.

As long as you are charging at home with no rush, it is always advisable to charge at 1C - even if your pack can handle 6C.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, when you want to start the charge - hold enter for a couple of seconds and it will start. The charger beeps when it's finished.

canongraphy

thanks Marius, nice explanation. So the leads I got today need to also be attached to let the charger communicate with the battery right?
my old stock align charger you just plugged it in at one spot, and it was a balancer charger combo, so that's the reason for these noob questions. :)
Looks like this charger only does charge or balance or discharge one at a time. Or do I have it wrong and it balances and charges at the same time?
Thanks again bro!

stokke

You plug in the balancer contact AND the two charge leads. This thing charges through the leads, and keeps tabs on cells through the balance port. You can charge without connecting the balancer, but it is recommended to use both (this prolongs the life of your batteries).

canongraphy

You plug in the balancer contact AND the two charge leads. This thing charges through the leads, and keeps tabs on cells through the balance port. You can charge without connecting the balancer, but it is recommended to use both (this prolongs the life of your batteries).

oh boy I had that backwards in my head, since that port (3s or 6s white plastic end) is how my previous 450 charged I assumed it was the charge port with this charger too. But the leads actually do the charging .. yes I will use both.
Thanks for straightening me out with this info.

canongraphy

Hey guys I am charging my batteries in hopes of my maiden hover tomorrow after work.
I have the 5000 done, but when I was hooking up my Align 7.4v 1900mah 40C battery, when I changed the leads I screwed up and connected the leads to the battery first and they arc"d for a sec when the leads touched at the other end, real stupid I know, my question is I have it on the charger now, both cells read 3.8 each and are charging fine so it seems.
Wouldn't the battery be junk after doing that? or since it hasn't puffed do you think its ok?
I have another new battery, the same thing that I was going to wait until this showed signs of going bad, or until I needed it.
What do you think? besides that was a stupid move.

Tony

Staff member
It would be junk if you were to leave it like that for a while. That is called a dead short, meaning the positive and negative plates are trying to expel energy and there is no way for it to go. The only way to expel it, is for the battery to heat up. So if it didn't heat up and didn't puff, you should be fine.

canongraphy

ok thanks Tony, I have read where most of the time yea it does that and its trashed, I won't be doing that again.
looks like I got lucky.

Tony

Staff member
Just keep an eye on it and keep it in a fireproof place such as in the fireplace, or on concrete with nothing flammable around it. If I have a questionable battery, I put it in my grill over night and check it in the morning.

canongraphy

yea I have it in a big cooking pan with a lid (it has vents) so at least if it erupts it won't burn the place down.
the charger said done with one at 4.18 and 4.19 in the other so a little short of full they were both 3.8 at start and its cool to the touch and no puffing as of yet anyway.

canongraphy

BTW Tony, no worries on that battery anymore, it got bent in the crash so I dropped it in a bucket of water.
Sooo it was good news..

Tony

Staff member
It needs to be salt water. Most regular water has a horrible conductivity, you need the sodium bicarbonate in salt to make it a GREAT conductor to suck the life out of it. This will render it safe and you can just toss it in the trash.

canongraphy

It needs to be salt water. Most regular water has a horrible conductivity, you need the sodium bicarbonate in salt to make it a GREAT conductor to suck the life out of it. This will render it safe and you can just toss it in the trash.

oops thats right, I forgot about the salt, I will add it tomorrow when I get to work. Was one of those days today...
Thanks!

Top Bottom