Chargers How to solder an ec3 connector

callsign4223

Staff member
EC3 connectors are famed for the ease of soldering them. This is a mostly true reputation. One point of difficulty in working with them is putting the bullet into the plastic shroud however. I finally figured out a method that is reliable and does not risk damaging the connector.

Step 1) Solder battery or esc wire to the bullet. The easiest method of doing this is to place the bullet vertically with the solder point upwards. Place the pre-tinned wire into the cup. Heat the cup with the soldering iron while placing solder wire into the cup. DO NOT OVERFILL THE CUP. Attempt to get as little solder outside the cup as possible. Excess solder outside the cup makes the following steps significantly more difficult.

Step 2) Place the plastic shroud vertical on a hard flat surface with the wire insertion side up.

Step 3) While being aware of polarity (Positive gets the D side Negative gets the O side) place the bullet loosely into the plastic shroud.

Step 4) Place a small flat tip screwdriver into the shroud in the same direction as the bullet, resting on the edge of the bullet.

Step 5) Press down firmly (This will take a lot of force) until you feel the bullet snap into the connector.

Step 6) Repeat steps 3-5 for the opposite polarity bullet.

If done properly, EC3 connectors do not require heat shrink because the insulation will continue into the plastic shroud, however I prefer to use a small amount on each side anyway as an extra precaution.

Next time I go to do this I will take pictures and update this post with pictures.

Tony

Staff member
Good writeup. I suggest using heatshrink anytime you solder. If for nothing else, to help keep the insulation from pulling up from the connector when you unplug them.

Graham Lawrie

This is the way I did mine, but it took a lot of force. The only thing I have done different is to insert male to female to prevent distortion:)

callsign4223

Staff member
Ya, before I figured this out I was trying to reach a pair of needle nose pliers into the connector and grab the bullet then pull it through into position. You can't really get a good grip doing this though and I managed to mangle a few male bullets before I figured out you needed to push them in, not pull them through.

Lee

Exactly how i do it too. If you don't cut too much of the covering off the wire, heat shrink isn't needed, as the bullet and wire go a long way inside the plastic case.

Westy

LEGEND
Funny ... I was de-soldering and re-using some today for some new Charge plugs I made up.

To Remove....... Actually I will Show you! BRB!

loading now

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my LHS solder a ec2 connector for my first airplane charger cuz i didnt realize how easy it was & they put it in one of those third hand alligator jigs & then used what u said solder side etc but when they placed the ends in the plastic end they dodnt seem to use much if any force & goven theyre small therrfore probably alittle easier than ec 3 and up but im going to make another charger adapter tomorrow with an ec2 & my diy third hand alligator jig whicj ill post more about in a different forum area, but i like to use shrink wrap but was thinking it might be a good idea to first shrink wrap with red & black each polarity to keep seperated better & extra insulation never hurts then a larger piece around both polls to keep from pulling out of plug plastic end cap, is that a good idea keeping the polls seperated ectra or is it just kinda overboard? Thanks Tom

callsign4223

Staff member
These things snap in with enough force that I have never worried about pulling a bullet of out the connector by pulling the connector apart. I would be more worried about the solder joint failing than the bullet pulling out.

Westy

LEGEND
And I can vouch for my soldering ..... my old Trex600 had the battery fly out of its nesting area (I did not strap it in for the Ride) .... The main blade struck it at 2200RPM ... amd a massive BANG and ... I landed immediately with the battery hanging on its lifeline ... the EC3 connector!

I rate them and will always run my BEC batteries on them .... until I can afford HV servos of course haha

Top Bottom