Batteries How to measure the fully charged capacity in mAh of a LiPo cell?

Robair

Is there a way to measure or determine the total, fully charged capacity in mAh of a LiPo cell?

With my wattmeter and telemetry, I can measure the used capacity after flight, but without knowing what the beginning total capacity was, it makes accurate endurance calculation impossible.

Thanks in advance

Lee

I don't know of a way of measuring the actual capacity.
I just make sure I only take out 80% of the total capacity when flying.
This can be hard though as the battery gets older, because the capacity reduces, and your 80% no longer matches.
Thats why I rely on the voltage more than the Mahs.

Tony

Staff member
I agree with Lee. The only real way to know is to start out at 4 minutes, then charge the battery. The charger will tell you how many mah you are putting back into the battery. As long as it's not over 80%, you are fine. I try to raise my flight times up to 75-80%. Sometimes, I fly a little harder and go over that, but I still never hit the shut off. Keep flying, keep charging and keep records of how many mah you are putting back in.

Robair

Ok! but this 80% is expressed as a percentage of something. (presumably and correctly, this should be the REAL capacity of the battery)
I can do a calculation based on capacity used as a percentage of the rated capacity and multiply this with the time flown and get a "Rated Capacity endurance" but I know that this is not correct because the rated capacity and actual capacity are 2 different values.
If I have to top up with 2355mAh
Have I just used 2355/3300 or 2355/3000 or 2355/(what value)? to get to the percentage that you guys are talking about.

cml001

Then if ur putting more than 2640 back in ur flight time is too long.. I gage that but really use voltage.. I like starting with 4.24 per cell and ending at 3.8.. I use that as my reference.. Typically that's a 5 minute flight.. Honestly I dont nitpick battery figures.. I just keep that voltage in line and don't exceed the 80% rule, don't leave a charge on them when I'm not using them, etc.. There are a few guys on here that are great with the numbers, formulas, etc... Sounds like u have a better grasp on that stuff than I.. But that's how I do it. The actual figures vary from pack to pack I just find this easier.. And with a good quality pack I worry even less... U can get soo wrapped up in calculating all ur packs that's it's just too time consuming.. So unless there is an issue.. This is how I do it.

Last edited:

Lee

80% of 3300mah pack = 2640
So once you have flown a pack and recharged it, you shouldn't be putting back more than that figure.
If the figure is less than 2640, then a 10,20,30 seconds to your flight, until it hit the 2640 mark.

Robair

Thank you Lee,
But right there is my real question.
3300mAh is not really the capacity of the battery pack - what with deterioration and all the other factors that age a battery.
I am currently guessing a 10% deterioration and working to 3000mAh. But as I have said, this is just a guess and it is exactly that guess that I want to get rid of.
By your calculation and my logic. The calculation should be 80% of 3000mAh or whatever the REAL capacity of the battery pack is and not what the number on the label indicates.

Lee

Then you have to got to Voltage as I mentioned in my first post.
Fly to a resting voltage of 3.7V per cell, which is normally around 3.5V under load.
I run a Voltage alarm that goes off at 3.5V. After landing and resting, the batteries are at 3.7V
I also keep an eye on the Internal Resistance, but you can only do that, if you have a good charger with that feature.

Robair

I want to also add,
Assume the battery pack has in fact deteriorated by 10% and it is in reality a 3000mAh pack and not 3300mAh and you fly it down to 2640mAh needed for a full charge, then you are in fact flying that pack down to 88% and not to the 80% that you think. This might or might not make that much difference but just a few more mAh and I believe you will be in dangerous 'doing damage to your packs' territory.
This is exactly why I want to determine what the real capacity of the battery pack is so that I can make a calculated decision as to what numbers I must fly to.

cml001

Hummm... Get'n deep! If it's to the point u ? the packs ability to perform... I'd just not use it. How old is the pack? Interesting question tho.

treff

Just an aside, if I were you I would buy 4000 mAh batteries it makes the math so much easier lol. Because the batteries are all so different, even from the same manufacturer `````i
would add 10% safety margin to any calculations because batteries change so rapidly you would be doing more measuring than flying. Just keep any eye on the IR of the cells.

vimy

I want to also add,
Assume the battery pack has in fact deteriorated by 10% and it is in reality a 3000mAh pack and not 3300mAh and you fly it down to 2640mAh needed for a full charge, then you are in fact flying that pack down to 88% and not to the 80% that you think. This might or might not make that much difference but just a few more mAh and I believe you will be in dangerous 'doing damage to your packs' territory.
This is exactly why I want to determine what the real capacity of the battery pack is so that I can make a calculated decision as to what numbers I must fly to.

If you want an accurate measurement of your battery capacity then a West Mountain Radio CBA 4 is the way to go:

http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=cba4

You can also use it to discharge a battery before disposal and make sure it is fully discharged.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an example of a test using the CBA 4 on several brands of batteries:

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shootout-4-voltage-under-load/

The large unit with two fans is an amplifier used in conjunction with the CBA 4 to increase it's capability, it is not needed for most jobs.

Top Bottom