General How to do this stunk? Lcok shubach?

mooserider

Ok, don't laugh, I don't know how to spell it and not even Google seems to understand what I'm looking for. The way I've heard it pronounced is lock-shu-bok. Basically, the plane (usually a bipe) is in an inverted flat-spin. One time in the past I found an explanation that was something like, stall the plane while it's inverted and start giving it rudder and throttle, but I've been unable to replicate this on my sims or in the sky (very, very high in the sky!) Any suggestions as to how to get this thing started? Now that I think of it... maybe it can be done un-inverted as well, but I've always seen it done inverted.

Thanks!

mooserider

Thanks rdsok, that's a great page. "Immelmann"... my whole life I've been calling it an Imbelmann. I thought the 1/2 roll and up elevator was called a split-S also.

Anyhow, that Lomcovak looks more like a tumbling move than a flat spin. But I was able to find some how-to videos by search for flat-spin. Gonna fire up the sim and give it a whirl. Thanks again for the link!

Tony

Staff member
I think what you are referring to is just an inverted flat spin. I love this move but went so long without doing it, I forgot how I went into it. I know I go straight up into a snap roll then reverse rudder (I think), full down elevator and use aileron to stay inverted. Below is an onboard flight where I did this move with a 40" Extra 260. Man I miss that plane (still have it, but no where to fly it). Have a watch and see if this is what you are talking about. It's onboard so if you get motion sickness, might want to keep the video small lmao.

Extra 260 Onboard Flight. Almost Crashed 3 Times lol - YouTube

mooserider

Wow... that looks like it was windy as hell! I love the comments during the landing attempts. Crazy how close you got to the ground on the second or third attempt!

But ya, that flat spin in the middle was exactly what I was talking about. Awesome Tony!

Tony

Staff member
It's a lot of fun. I have been trying to replicate it in PHoenix but the physics are just not made for planes on there. I learned how to do that on realflight where plans are the key aircraft. Maybe I need to load it up and give it a go. Try to figure out exactly how in the world I get into it lmao.

There is a way as well to stop the plane from falling, and hold it in a "kind of" flat spin in one space. You are still spinning, but you are not falling. I might have a video of this spin from teh ground. Let me look through my videos and see if I cna find it.

Tony

Staff member
Well I can't find it. Maybe I need to get my membership back at the flying field and go out and shoot the video lmao.

Smoggie

You might be thinking about a 'blender'.. That's a vertical rolling dive at speed with a snap transition into an inverted flat spin:

Go to 38 seconds on this video:

Blenders are one of my favourite 3D stuts because they look spectacular but are actually very easy once you get the timing worked out. You do need a strong airframe though because they put an awful lot of stress on the plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

mooserider

Hey Smoggie. I can't view that video in the US. But I looked up blenders and that's it too. Some are called blenders, and some flat spins. I think the blender is started by snap rolls and then transitions into a flat spin? Thanks!

Tony... why you're not out flying is beyond me! I know you don't like the FAA rules, but man you of all people should be out there showing folks how it's done!! Yes you should get a membership again!!

Tony

Staff member
lmao, I'm not as good of a pilot as I show on video. LOTS of editing lmao. I still can't land worth a crap...

mooserider

Ya... modesty! Seriously Tony, the knowledge you have, your experience, your willingness to help people.... you should be in a club (and they should give you a free membership). I just got back into one after 20+ years... I was looking forward to it, and I did enjoy the hell out of it! The first day I think I talked way, way more than flying. People love talking about this hobby, and it's great to be around a bunch of other RC nerds all day! I broke my rudder when I was out last weekend... thought I had to go home, but someone had some CA to fix it. I was inspired, so I'm actually making a tool box to take out with me next time with spare parts, screws, glue, etc, in case I can help people next time. It's great flying with people rather than down at the soccer field! You really should get back out there...

Tony

Staff member
I want to, trust me. All of my planes have not been flown in over two years. Probably forgot how to do anything with them. I know on the sim I can't figure out how to get into that flat spin anymore. Probably can't hold a knife edge and surely forgot how to control a harrier.

And free membership, yea right. This place is so frugal I'm surprised they don't charge you for picking a blade of grass lmao. And there is no smoking or vaping on the property (it's on the University of Oklahoma (OU) land). Which makes NO sense seeing as I can fire up my nitro helicopter and fog the place out and no one says anything.

One of these days, I will get back on my feet and purchase about 50 acres. Then I can build my own runway and fly anything I want, any time I want. But right now I can't even afford the server fees to keep this site running. Let alone membership fees, time away to go to the field, fuel to get there (it's about 20 minutes away) and so on.

Top Bottom