General How to add the Carbon Spar on Elevators

OwnageKingX

Hi,

I was trying to build my second plane using Tony's Trainer Plan. In the previous one I did not put any Carbon spar either on the main Wing nor on the Elevators.
I would like to know how do I attach the carbon spar on the Elevators? I've already cut the Hinge on the Tail Wing for the Elevators?

Thanks
Own.

Tony

Staff member
I just cut a shallow V cut and put some hot glue down and pushed the spar into it.

OwnageKingX

2012-11-15 10.38.22.jpg In the pic i have cut the Hindge for the elevators. But after the hinge the size of the connector is just 7-8 mm. Should I make another V-cut towards the forward side of the Wing as I do not have space for cutting the v-cut towards tails end.? do You have any pic how the wing will look after putting the carbon rod and the hinge.

Thanks

Own.

2012-11-15 10.38.22.jpg

Tony

Staff member
It will go between the hinge and the V slot where the rudder will go. If need be, you can let the spar protrude into the opening and just cut the rudder a little more for clearance.

I think I cover this spar in one of the videos. Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth available to watch them to give you an accurate time when I state how to do this. However, it will either be part 2, cutting the pieces out, or part 3, building the fuselage. In the link below, there are 10 videos on how to build this plane. Hope this helps.

Rc-Help - Learn How To Fly w/ The Rc-Help Trainer. Build & Fly Guide

OwnageKingX

Hey Tony,
Sorry Im bringig alive an old thread of mine..just loaded with work so not finding time to work on the build..

well i tried something different for the Carbon spar..instead of cutting a v-cut between the hinge and the elevators i cut a small straight edge cut about the length of carbon spar.. Since I did not have enough space between the hinge and the tail edge i just though about doing this...then I put in a lot of hot glue both inside the cut and applied some on the carbon rod..and pushed the rod hard in the notch...then using a steel ruler i placed it on top of it and pressed it down so as to align it with the surface and make sure it is in place..then again applied some hot glue on the top and used a hard plastic card to spread the glue..this has given a good linkage between both sides of the elevators and there is no differential in movement of both the sides..
Hope this helps someone putting in a carbon spar..

Many thanks to you..for suggestions and help As always :)

- Own

Tony

Staff member
That is a great idea on how to do it. The foam will move out of the way to allow good space for the spar and may be stronger than the way I did it. Great post and thanks for sharing it. And don't worry about waking up an old thread of yours, this was totally on topic and much appreciated.

Top Bottom