Micro How much room does mcpx need?

Mda1701d

A question for you more experienced pilots please!
I bought a little mcpx tp play with, and to help out with my learning to fly. It was a used one, but in good condition.
Our rooms are quite small, and I found I couldnt get airborne without hitting something! It seems to need a fair amount of room for take off. On the odd occasion when there has been no wind, I have flown outside, it takes alot of correcting after launch, then I can only stay in the air for a minute or so before getting into trouble! Seems better as the battery gets lower, so I tried dropping the head speed, but not much difference. Settings on the dx6 are pretty much the same as Tonys. I just wondered if this is typical of the model, or should it be easier to control. Certainly on phoenix its very easy to fly. The take off is more backwards and left than straight up. New bullet blades have been fitted, and I check the main gear is pushed on after every crash, so thats quite often!
Thanks chaps.

Tony

Staff member
One thing about small rooms is you are going to create a swirling air flow around the room. This is bad for any helicopter.

When flying it outside, anything under a 15mph gust, this thing can fly. It's a great helicopter and handles the wind very well. Don't be afraid to take it out when you have a little wind. It will bob up and down, but this will just teach you collective management.

If the helicopter is not taking off straight, have a look at the video below. You may need to level the swash, and this is a free swash leveler.

If you want to lower your head speed, you will need to REALLY lower the value. Below are my T curves for my mcpx. Yes, these are correct lol.

Normal: 0 20 20 20 20
IU1: 100 90 80 90 100
IU2: 100 100 100 100 100

You read that right. I'm running 20% in normal. It's the only way I could get the head speed down low enough. Give it a try, it should help.

Here is the video. Check your swash and make sure it's perfectly level. If it's not, adjust the linkages until it is. Then recheck your mid stick and make sure, when the blades are folded the same way, that they are perfectly parallel.

How To Level Swash With A ZipTie - YouTube

EyeStation

Not sure if your video covers subtrimming the servos for no drift while throttled up. Basically, there should be No trimming done with the TX. Once your links are set and level throughout the travel, check that no servo creeps away from the others. If it does, go to the subtrim menu for that servo and increment it up or down only one or two at a time. I will then return the throttle back to zero to reset the ESC and then back to mid stick to watch for servo drift again.
With a level swash and no servo drift, you will notice much more control.
I have to try Tony's setting of 20% on the throttle. Not sure if he has the brushless version, or if this is true for both.

Tony

Staff member
Mine has the HP05 brushless motor, but it's a V1 mcpx. So you may have to use something around 30% throttle if the head speed is not high enough.

Mda1701d

Thanks guys!
I will need to go through the suggested level checks and trims, I havent adjusted it since I got it. Swash does look a bit out by eye. Just tried the 20% throttle, poor thing wont lift off lol! Raised to 30 and will try once swash is done. Thanks for the help!

sarconastic

I wont even try mine inside my house. it is just too quick. I fly it at work in the warehouse occasionally though. I started out with a V911 and it is fine inside but the MCPX is a whole other critter for sure. Big open field with decently soft "CUT" grass to land/crash on. I find baseball outfields work great. Or parks with long cut grass. I almost lost mine once flying in Long tuft grasses. SO no more of that either.

Woody

Mda1701d

Thanks woody, it is ok in our garden, but not much space to move around. Next time I ll take it with me to the secret flying location! It's going to be one damn small tie strap to level this swash!

Mda1701d

Hi all,
After taking the head off to do suggested set up, I found and fixed the little fella! Posting details separately as it may be useful to others. Thanks to all!

Top Bottom