450 how many/where do i put the reciver.

Recivers, i have a reciver with a sat, its a AR8000, then i have a 3gx, do i use both of them or do i just use one of them. and where do i mount it and with what.

pvolcko

450 or smaller size heli, no need for the sat. 500 and up I'd go with the receiver's built in antenna(s) and the sat in combination. When using the sat make sure the antenna is in a different orientation than the antenna on the AR8000. If AR8000 is sitting nose to tail back facing the ground (antenna pointing out to the left), then make sure the sat is mounted to the side of the heli or somewhere where the antenna is pointing front/back or up/down, not left/right. Also make sure there is at least two or three inches of space separating the antennas of either unit. The more distance you can manage the better. Using a sat is about getting better "path diversity" so there is less chance of dropped signal from Tx to Rx.

Dirk

Using just the satellite receiver is fine on a 450 size heli. You will have a lot less wiring. Space is pretty tight on a 450 size heli.

This is where i put my RX.20130627_213637.jpg20130627_213821.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, just saw the RUST on my mainshaft below the rotor head!:dejection:

20130627_213637.jpg

20130627_213821.jpg

Dirk

That is unfortunately one of the down sides of living at the coast. Checking for rust will now be part of my maintenance routine. I am putting some hours on the heli though.

Tony

Staff member
Ah yeah, salt spray in the air. Right on. Just get some metal polish and polish that main shaft out. It will be good as new.

Westy

LEGEND
My Mate put his Sat .... inside the chassis .... in front of the Tail servo box .... he has zero wires hanging out of his heli .... it is clean clean clean

He watched all of Tonys Vids on assembly and sent it to me .... I showed a vid of it recently ....

Dirk

That got me thinking now Westy. Another little project for the weekend. Hiding more wires. I initially thought of putting the sat rx inside the frame but was a little afraid of blocking the signal with all the carbon fiber around.

On the sat rx, if I remember correctly, only one wire is the actual antenna. (the one pointing downwards on my heli photo). The other one is just a ground plane. Thought it best to give it as much "open" space as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yeah, salt spray in the air. Right on. Just get some metal polish and polish that main shaft out. It will be good as new.

Thanks Tony, I will give it a go over the weekend.

Top Bottom