Flight Controllers How does it work ?

Touchoco

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my first 250 quadcopter. I don't know which control board I should choose.

Does any control board works with any radio receiver?
Does any control board works with any ESC?
Are they all furnished with a software to program aircraft?
Are they all easy to use or are they some which are very technical?

I have tried to find this out on YouTube and selling website, but I didn't manage to find these information.

Tony

Staff member
I don't know which control board I should choose.

I am really enjoying the CC3D. It can get a little technical while setting it up, but you can always flash it with different firmware if you don't like the CC3D firmware. But give the stock firmware a shot first.

Does any control board works with any radio receiver?

Yes, you will put your own receiver on the quad and hook it up to the flight controller of your choice.

Does any control board works with any ESC?

Yes, but you may have to pull the red and black wires out of the servo plugs coming from 3 of the ESC's.

Are they all furnished with a software to program aircraft?

Most are furnished with software. However, if they are not, you can always download the software from the internet.

Are they all easy to use or are they some which are very technical?

Not all of them are easy to use. In face, most open source software is going to be a little harder than proprietary software. But when you get into proprietary software, you are going to pay more for the flight controller like the Naza and such.

Hope this helps.

Touchoco

Yes, but you may have to pull the red and black wires out of the servo plugs coming from 3 of the ESC's.

What to you mean by "you may have to pull the red and black wires out of the servo plugs coming from 3 of the ESC's". Would I have to unplug 3 of the ESC to configure my device ?

It helps a lot. Thank you for helping me again.

Tony

Staff member
If you have what's called a "switching bec" in the ESC, then you MUST remove the red wire (at least) from 3 of the ESC's so it doesn't conflict with each other. But in pretty much all cases, we suggest removing the red wire from ESC #2 #3 and #4, only leaving ESC #1 with the red wire plugged into the control board.

You must have all 4 ESC's plugged into the FC in order to set it up properly. The ESC's will get their power from the PDB (Power Distribution Board) and all they need from the FC is the signal on what to do.

Touchoco

How do we know that we shouldn't remove the red wire from ESC #2 #3 and #4 ? Do we just cut the small red wire ?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I'm really a newbee and I'm taking a long time to understand. I hope my english isn't too bad.

Tony

Staff member
Your english is just fine bro, no worries.

No matter what, you can remove the red wire from 3 of the ESC's. It will not hurt a thing and could save a headache by removing them. And I would just pull the wire out of the plug with the metal end, fold it over then put some heat shrink on it. I wouldn't cut it just in case you need it later on.

Touchoco

I have guessed that ^^ It's the same in my university ^^ 4 girls for 48 boys ^^
No need to apologize. I'm getting used to that ^^

SIXFOOTER

LOL, you know what they say about assumptions Tony.
Great explanation on the connections for the ESC
Welcome aboard Touchoco

Touchoco

Where does the CC3D flight controller take is power ? The distribution board or the ESC ?
There is a distribution board called for CC3D but it's more expensive than others and I don't know why.

SIXFOOTER

Power comes from one ESC through the red wire

ETA:
The PDB isn't necessary, but it is a really good way to clean up the installation.
For the 250 class quads the PDB is only a few $, like 3 or 4 each

Last edited:

Touchoco

Power comes from one ESC through the red wire

ETA:
The PDB isn't necessary, but it is a really good way to clean up the installation.
For the 250 class quads the PDB is only a few $, like 3 or 4 each

Ok thanks a lot guys :) I will soon be ready to do my command ^^

Lee

There are a lot of boards to choose from.
Here are the most popular.
Boards.....Software
Nase32.....Cleanflight
Flip32.....Cleanflight
CC3D.....Open Pilot
KK2.1.....None

If you just want something that works, can be set up without a computer, directly on the board, then the KK2.1 is a good option.
If you want something more up to date, with better tuning ability, then the other three are pretty equal.
In my experience, the CC3D software is more intuitive than the nase and flip.
Also the CC3D forum has a French section, so that may be of use to you.
https://forums.openpilot.org/forum/16-français/
This should be a good start.

Touchoco

There are a lot of boards to choose from.
Here are the most popular.
Boards.....Software
Nase32.....Cleanflight
Flip32.....Cleanflight
CC3D.....Open Pilot
KK2.1.....None

If you just want something that works, can be set up without a computer, directly on the board, then the KK2.1 is a good option.
If you want something more up to date, with better tuning ability, then the other three are pretty equal.
In my experience, the CC3D software is more intuitive than the nase and flip.
Also the CC3D forum has a French section, so that may be of use to you.
https://forums.openpilot.org/forum/16-français/
This should be a good start.

Oh yes a french section could help ! Exept if it's like the banggood french version ^^ I understand better in english than with their french traduction ^^
Thanks a lot for this comparison.
I think I will go with CC3D. Even on the selling website it seems more complete.

Lee

Its not a translation to French, its actual French speaking people, chatting and helping each other out.

Top Bottom