450 how do i determine the best batteriy to use

itonkatom1

Hey all;

Is their some type of formula that can determine the max mah's in a battery that i can use on my kds 450c without fring all my electronics. I have a 40 amp esc. im trying to get max fly time out of 1 flight even to sacrifice extra weight. Mine came with a 2200mah 20c, and I have used a 3200 20c batt. a couple of times, but worry that I may fry something as the esc gets up to "mid warm" after flight, but the extra fly time is great. can i go up to a 5000 mah 20c, without frying anything? Thanks guys.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Mah wont fry your electronics.

The voltage will... Just remember to use the right size (voltage or cell wise like 3s or 2s or 4s) , and then you can go up in mah as much "as you want" .

But remember that the more the mah, more juice the battery will pack in it, but!, much more weight too.

I think if you go through Tony's videos on YouTube "rchelpdotcom" channel, he has it all explained there.

murankar

Staff member
Actually he does, it explains how to pair your battery, esc and motor. I run a 2200 mAh @ 25c 3S and with my motor I have the potential of 55 amps max on the battery. My esc is rated at 40 amps and the motor at 27 amps, thats if you follow Tony's formula. You might be able to get away with a 2650 mAh 25c 3S on there but not much more.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Again. As he also says in the video. You'll be good with 5000mah too. The battery is not putting out 5000mah at once it's how
Much the motor is wanting to pull. If that gets over the rates power then you have issues. If the motor is capable of pulling only do many watts under esc guidelines, you can out anything and get away with THEORITICALLY.

Weight comes next.

murankar

Staff member
will a 5000 mAh fit in a 450 class? or is that a 450c a bigger class?

I was also thinking nose weight, how would that upset the balance?

itonkatom1

yea, I too have watched all of tony's utube videos (after watching them i decided to give it a go and been hooked to this copter ever since). The nose weight would have to b compinsated for, althought the 3200mah i use is almost a perfect balance as I have to put it in (without the canopy) sideways. The 2200mah that came with it, when mounted, the copter was slightly tail heavy. I cant use the canopy for anything but the 2200 batt. That is not a sacrifice to me now as I am still a newbe and looks and style is at the bottom of my agenda. I can almost hover for a full batt cycle (2200), so I still have a long way to go before I worry bout astatics. Hey any1 remember the episode # for that batt,esc,motor video of tony's is? Thanks u guys for your input. i love this site!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Don't remember the episode number, but canopy is much more than just cosmetic.

I mean I thought that for the longest time. Once you start doing forward flight. Canopy can be a life saver cause it helps tremendously with orientation. I would even recommend a right colored distinct canopy (which I think tony points out in his how to fly series too) ..

I almost hit a truck with my nitro 600 just because I didn't have the canopy on.... And I have been flying for 1 year now. I mean, getting disoriented without canopy os sometimes unavoidable. Lol I just saw that red light in your post and jumped on it.. ;)
Read my post in 600 sized helis about the flight with the vibe 50. :)

Tony

Staff member
being a 450 sized heli, and coming stock with a 3S battery, stick with the 3s and you will be fine. When you are looking at batteries, just make sure your battery can withstand the amp draw of the motor. Remember, the motor is what everything is based around. If the motor is pulling 50 amps and your battery is only rated at 45, it's going to get very hot and puff up, and possibly catch on fire. so everything you put on the heli will be based off of the amp rating of the motor + 10 amps to be safe. So, if you are running a 50 amp motor, run a 60 amp ESC and a battery with at LEAST 60 amp draw capacity. Not burst capacity, but standard draw.

As for the video you were wanting, here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSa2f76QiU

Last edited:
Top Bottom