ESC Hot speed controllers

WyDiablo

This is a reply that I got from a forum member on another forum today.

Motor startup current can peak around 200% of the normal running current..... 11 inch props are too big for the 30amp escs. Also you are carrying too much payload weight for these Escs. Ecalc for MRs will tell you that if you input your data correctly. Invest in 45 amp Turnigy Multistar ESCs or equiv and your issues will disappear.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chalagi View Post
I have a DJI F550 hexa running AMP2814 motors with 11"-4.7 props and 30Amp esc's. I have a full FPV setup with transmitter, 600TVL camera and gopro hero3 using a 3S 5000 battery. After 5 minutes of hover the esc's are hot as in uncomfortable to where you can only hold your fingers on them for a short time. The hexa weighs in at 6lbs 9oz. And the motors have a max thrust of 2200g at full throttle per motor. The motors are pull 15Amps each.

I can't figure out if the guy is correct or no. But from the test that aerial media pros did with these motors and the stock DJI esc's it really makes me wonder.

Tasajara

I don't get that your esc's are still getting to hot to touch? They will get a little hot, but if you cant hold your fingers on them that is bad.
I ran the Avrotos with 10x5 Graupners hauling FPV, GoPro and 10,000 mAh 4s using 30amp esc's . The esc's never got to hot to touch.
Is the 11x4.7 a Slow Fly prop? If so you could use a 11x5 Graupner and pull less amps. Thin blade at the tip less drag = less amps over a Slow Fly.
I try not to use bullet connectors when possible. Direct solder the motor to the esc. And make sure it is a good connection, that the solder flows all
into each wire before you join the two together. As far as 200% current, may be so but for milliseconds. Just long enough for the bell to break the magnetic
field with the Stator. Still has me puzzled a bit.... wish I lived closer I could help you figure this out. Do make sure your props are balanced very well smoother spin up can make a difference too.

WyDiablo

The props are 11"-4.7 slow fly carbon fiber. Later this evening I will test these 10"-4.7 slow fly props to see if they made a difference. But like I said earlier I know of guys with the same setup and they don't have this problem. I also think that my esc's are to the point of going back they are over 1 old. The heat started back when I was using cheap rctimer motors that were 110w and 1000Kv. Soon i hope to have a new carbon core frame and 40Amp esc's. My props are balanced on the spot very good balance.

Last edited:

WyDiablo

I just finished the test on the 10" 4.7 or 5 (can't remember the correct pitch) props. And running a 3S 5000 battery at a 4 minute hover the esc's, motors and battery are barely warm. But running the 4S 5000 battery at same hover they get hot but not unbearable to the touch. Not as hot as the 11" 4.7 props produce on 3S and 4S batteries.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Get those slow fly props off of there. Those are meant to be used with a gear box. Put some regular props on there and it should reduce the load on teh ESC's.

WyDiablo

So you are saying that the slow fly props are the reason for the esc overheating? So maybe I should get some 10" or 11" and 5 to 6 pitch props. Those 10" 4.7 on a 4 minute hover did not increase the heat on the esc's they came down slightly warm and I do mean slightly warm.

Tony

Staff member
Slowfly are made to spin slower from what I understand. I have never run them myself, just going off of what I have read. If the props that you put on are not heating the ESC's up as much and you still have plenty of lift, then stick with it. Use what works, just like with DR/Expo. Make it your own. But, I would suggest getting some APC props or the like, just standard props, and giving them a shot to see what happens.

WyDiablo

Tasajara you ran avrotos with 10x5 props and 10,000 Mah battery (1 or 2 batteries) on a quad or hexa? See my hexa is at 6.9lbs and that's heavy

WyDiablo

I ran a couple of test today with the hexa. I now run (2) 3S 5000Mah batteries and even at an 8 minute hover the esc's, motors and batteries are barely warm. So after recharging the batteries after the 8 min fight I put back 2704Mah in one battery and 2627Mah in the other battery. Using 10" 4.7 props with the Tiger MT2216 - 900Kv motors. No more Hot Hot esc's for now

Tony

Staff member
I would roll with that and just adjust your flight time to use 80% of the mah and call it good. Glad you got it going.

WyDiablo

Yea it really helped a lot tossing this problem around with you guys and getting opinions from folks that knew more than I did about the problem and thanks guys. I think it was mostly the huge weight of the hexa and not having the battery power to run thing.

Tasajara

Tasajara you ran avrotos with 10x5 props and 10,000 Mah battery (1 or 2 batteries) on a quad or hexa? See my hexa is at 6.9lbs and that's heavy
This was a quad i helped setup for a friend he had 2-5000mAh 4s batteries with 10x5 Slowfly props 30amp esc's.
When he came to me it wouldn't fly. First thing was to get the right pitch set on the motors. Next I had to re-flash his WooKong controller and enter all new settings.
Once we got it flying we removed the gasser propsand replace them some cheap GemFan 10x5 SF props.
After all that he can fly about 7 to 8min with that setup. I told him his best bet would be to use 10x5 or 11x5 Graupners depending on his total weight.

quad.JPG

quad.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom