450 Hooking up a lost model finder

mousie

I bought a couple lost model finders off ebay and I would rather not hook it up through one of the servos.How else can this thing be hooked up.I want to be able to turn it on and off through my TX, I have an extra port on the receiver that is not being used but cannot make it go on with the aux switch.Has anybody tried this?

mousie

Hi Tony, I have an Airtronics RDS 8000 and have a spare channel on the receiver but can not get it to turn on the lost model beeper.

Tony

Staff member
I wish I could help you but I have never even seen that Tx before lol. Good luck, hope you get it figured out soon. Have you thought about running a Y harness?

Here is an idea....
Depending on IF you use HH mode or not?
disconnect the HH plug out of the gear slot on the TX and put in the plug for the finder there.That way you can switch it on and off

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If your tx is programmable, all you have to do is go into the programing and set your switch to that Chanel. Easy to do on a spectrum tx.

Tony

Staff member
Marius, that is a lot of money for something like that lol. I guess for a $400+ heli or plane it's worth it, but I would rather wire something up that works off the battery. This gives me an idea...

breeze
the only problem with that is if he is using a CCPM heli and using something like a DX6I he has used up all his channels already
1 for aileron, 1 for elevator, 1 for power/motor, 1 for pitch, 1 for rudder, and one for HH mode. there will be no more room for the finder on a channel

Tony

Staff member
You can possibly hook it up to say the aileron channel and it only activated when you hit full stick. Complicated but could work.

Doum066

It's my understanding that this device is rather popular among some pilots.
I'm considering getting this myself.

Loc8tor Lite - Product Range

I recently bought one after loosing my T-Rex 500 in a corn field which we never were able to find, i hope when the corn's gonna get more dried out i might be able to start another search which might get easier sight and after the crop we never know... all that said, i regret i haven't found this Loc8tor thing before i lost that bird, but i do have it now on my 550 and i love it, might not be perfectly accurate or stuff but still, i rather spend 60$ on an item that allows me to put tags on more than one bird.. at least these items uses their own battery, so if in a crash the flight pack burst or whatever, it will still works and emit it's own sound and beam. In my own opinion, it,s a 60$ worth it, and you can bind 4 diff. tags to it. Here's a picture of how it looks on my 550.

tag.JPG

tag.JPG

Last edited:

jsl151850b

I recently purchased the Loc8tor Lite but not yet pleased with it.
Mounted between the upper and lower decks of a QAV250 the range is poor.
Less than 100 feet.
I'd like to mount it on a short mast.
I *am* pleased with a 5v beeper (more like a squealer...runs continuously) that cost under $5.
It allows recovery from tall grass. 150 - 200 feet depending on environment noise.
Useless in case the battery is ejected of course.
Banggood: 5V Active Buzzer Alarm Beeper With Cable for FPV Racer Quadcopter Drone DIY

jsl151850b

Speaking of finding lost models...
My QAV250 has (had... replacement on order) a Tarot OSD with GPS.
After a crash I still had video so I walked in the general direction and matched my phone GPS long/lat
to the numbers being received.
Is there a device/method for detecting/ranging/orienting from the 5.8 Ghz transmitter?
Useless in case the battery is ejected of course.

Top Bottom