Misc Hobbyking Hex-Copter Massive help needed Choosing a Electrical Setup - My First Time!

stevielynsk

Hi Guys,

This is my first time building my own RC Hex, I have the Frame I have that all built and ready to go. However I am struggling understanding all of this Motor, ESC, Battery Jargon. I have watched tutorial after tutorial and come to the conclusion I am thick and Cannot understand it. As my Last Resort I am Reaching out to you fellow RC-goers out there for help.

I bought the HobbyKing 650X6 Folding HexaCopter Frame with Tall Crab Landing Gear (KIT) from Hobbyking.

I am looking for the best and longest Flight Duration setup possible that I can order from Hobbyking. I don't mind Paying that bit more for bigger batteries etc.

I need, Everything electrical apart from tx/rx I already have that. So I need Motors, Props, ESC, Battery, Flight Manager etc, Anything I will need to finish this.

Lists, Or even Links would be greatly appreciated guys.

Many thanks in Advance for anyone who helps,

Thanks

Steve

murankar

Staff member
Required:
Motor: 2212~4822 class x 6
Battery: 2200~6500mah
Flight controller
5ch radio control system
ESC:)20~30A x 6:)

Okay the 2212-4822 is a Scorpion Power Systems standard for motor size. Its the night and width of the stator.

The battery of 2200-6500 is the man. What we are missing is weather or not its 6s or 3s. My guess would be 6s based on the size of the hexa.

Your ESC amp rating of 20-30 amps, I myself would go with the 30 amp. I would also suggest that you find out what amp potential is the motors you want. Then make your ESC amp rating higher. Your battery amp output potential should be higher than the ESC. At least that's his I set up my last three helis.

If your motor of choice has a 25 amp continuous on 6s then your ESC would be somewhere around 30 or 35 amps. Your battery will need to be able to handle all that current.

Since I don't own a quad and have not figured anything out let someone else chime in also. One thing I don't understand is how the current draw works, I.e. cumulative or not.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lee

Re: Hobbyking Hex-Copter Massive help needed Choosing a Electrical Setup - My First T

If you look on the page for your hexa, below is a "combined related items" page.
For long flight times you want a lower KV motor and bigger props.
My choice from the list would be the Multistar 3508 580KV motor.
As far as I have read, they work with 11 to 14 inch props. This will depend on your hexas size.

ESCs for these motors should be 30A or more.
Again there is a list on that page. If you go with the Afros, get the Afro USB program tool as well. You will need to flash BLHeli firmware to them, as SimonK doesn't play well with low KV motors. (easy to do)

This motor/esc combo requires 4S batteries around 4000mah

The flight controller.
Many choices.
For ease of use as a first timer, the KK2.1 board works well. Can be programmed from the board.
If you want GPS etc, then the Naza V2, or Eagle tree Vector are the boards of choice, unless you want to spend $1000's

Good luck :)

stevielynsk

Re: Hobbyking Hex-Copter Massive help needed Choosing a Electrical Setup - My First T

Hi Lee, Thanks very much for the info, Ive just gathered all what you have said and there on order... Standby for more questions :) Thanks Steve

Lee

Nice one Steve,
Look forward to seeing the progress :)

Top Bottom