Prop Hobby King Mini Saturn

fhu667

Has anyone flown a Mini Saturn? I bought one last year, and I think it may be the most fun $80 I have spent. It will handle more wind than you would think, but it's not near as much fun as having a calm day. I've really been wanting to buy one of Twisted Hobby's Crack Turbo Beaver, but $100 for a foamie with no electronics seems kind of high.

Admiral

Haven't tried the Mini Saturn but bought a Mini Swift last year at under $60 it is a steal, flys like a bullet and tuff as nails, only issue with it in Australia is spares it is almost cheaper to buy a new one from the Australian Warehouse than the spares and postage from the International Warehouse, the next one I'm going to try is the Durafly 3A they have all spares locally for that.

fhu667

My mini saturn has taken a beating. I used some CA and replaced any broken CF with some spare tail booms I had from by old MCPx, and I was right back in the air.

Derek

I don't know what kind of building skills you guys have but if you are interested...check out the RCH Store tab. There are PDF plans for the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane. Tony made these up because I asked for them. I have two of these 540's and both are a lot of fun. If you'd like to see one of them in action, here is a link to the plane:

RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane v2 November 19 2013 - YouTube

It's a very inexpensive plane to build. The electronics on it aren't very much at all. Most of all, it's a great flyer!!!

fhu667

I don't know what kind of building skills you guys have but if you are interested...check out the RCH Store tab. There are PDF plans for the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane. Tony made these up because I asked for them. I have two of these 540's and both are a lot of fun. If you'd like to see one of them in action, here is a link to the plane:

RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane v2 November 19 2013 - YouTube

It's a very inexpensive plane to build. The electronics on it aren't very much at all. Most of all, it's a great flyer!!!

I want one. Now to find the plans....

Derek

Just check out the RCH Store tab at the top of the page. The PDF plans are available there.

This version of the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane is version 2. There aren't any major changes from the v1 but this really is a great flying plane. I still have the v1 and, when the better weather gets here, I'll be back in the air for sure. This plane is very capable of flying at semi-slow speeds and is very capable of the mild 3D maneuvers that I know how to do. If you have any questions, just ask.

I'm sorry to jack your thread but I wanted to toss out an option to you guys.

fhu667

I'm glad you did jack it. I love the foamies because I can fly them like I stole 'em. I'm not that good, and it doesn't hurt my feelings near as much when I smack them.

What kind of foam? Where's the best place to get it?

Tony

Staff member
Get the foam from Dollar Tree. I'm sure you have those down there. I think you can make this plane out of two sheets. So this plane is going ot cost you about $2.50 when you add in the glue lol.

Derek

Yes, you can get this foam board from either Dollar Tree or Dollar General. I like using the white foam board. Tony made the RCH 540 with black foam board and he had some difficulties telling which way was up and down after a few aileron rolls, lol. I use the white foam board, covered with clear or colored packing tape. The packing tape helps add some strength and water proofing. I think I have about $55-$60 in my RCH 540. It's just a lot of fun.

Tony

Staff member
The other thing that I don't like about the black board is the core is white. Looks retarded lol. But yes, you can do it out of white then just let your kids color it for you.

fhu667

Does the 2s motor have plenty of power? I already have those packs.

I already have too many projects. I haven't finished the Warp, and a Goblin arrived at the House last week. This week my wife made me buy her a plane. I'm guessing I'll be putting that together next week, and i have 5 gallons of homebrew to bottle. Those are truly first world problems!

Derek

lol....actually, yes. I believe Tony flew his RCH 540 on a 2S lipo. I run 3S on mine, simply because I keep forgetting to order 2S lipos, lol

fhu667

I ordered some servos and a receiver from HK. I'll still need to find a motor and ESC, but then I'll be ready to start on it. I suppose I'll also need control horns and pushrods. What are we using to glue this plane together with?

Top Bottom