600 HK600GT Build & Walkthrough

Tony

Staff member
Hello everyone. As most of you know, I own the HK600GT. I have to say, I never thought I would own one of these bad boys. This thing is just huge. If you have not seen my build guide on this helicopter, see it Here.

So, some of you might also know that I was having a problem on spool up where the fly bar would just go all wacky. Well, tonight I fixed that. So, lets go back and start from the beginning.

So, I got the kit, and it went together pretty easy. I had to modify the tail boom so that it would slide into the block more so that I could get the belt on. Not a big deal, had that fixed in about 5 minutes. After it was built, I had to wait for funds to get the electronics. When I got the funds, I ordered everything for the 500 and 600 at the same time. Yeah, can we all say "Second Mortgage" lmao. But I got them.

So, I install all of the electronics in the 600 and I take it to the living room for a quick spool up just to test some things out. I start to spool it up, and the fly bar goes all wacky making the heli almost tip over. So, I make an adjustment and try again, same result. Make another change, spool it up and everything quits and sparks go flying about 5" in the air! The friggin heat sink on the ESC shorted out against all of the motor wires and killed the ESC. What was the worst part? There was NO MAGIC SMOKE!!! If I burn something up, I wanna see smoke so that I know all the magic is gone out of it lmao. But, nothing, and it was dead.

So, I hung it back up on the wall and looked at other options.

Well, I took the 450 out flying, and crashed. Hm... Okay... Lets take the 500 out as well. Well, my daughter came around the garage, I sat the 500 down and looked at her to make sure she wasn't getting any closer. Then I hear the blades hit the ground, and everything getting torn up. Well, No cash to replace the $70 worth of broken parts. The heli didn't even cost that much lmao. So, now I have an ESC! w00t!

So, I put the 80A ESC in the 600, take it back to the living room and spool her up. Same result with the fly bar. Hm... I take it out to the garage and do the same. When the blades come to a stop, I notice that they are not straight to the grips. So, out comes the allen wrench, and I tighten the crap out of them. Spool it up, NO MORE FLY BAR WACKINESS! So, I think the blades were just at that point where they would not straighten back out.

I keep spinning her up, and since I don't have a gyro on it (had the 401B, bad idea on this heli), it was not going in the air. So, I spool her up about 1/4 stick, and look at the tracking. Way off. I set it down, and adjust until it's perfect. Once I hit that point, I took her up just under 1/2 throttle. Holy crap, I knew that I wasn't' going to fly it, but still started shaking lmao. I love it. So, when I get a gyro for this thing, it will be ready for it's maiden! So stay tuned, cause I don't think you want to miss this!

64impala

Sucks to lose parts and not have any fun to show. Can't wait to see video comparing these helos in size hint hint.

Cant wait till you get a decent gyro for this Beast of heli, sure does suck big time about the 450 & 500, but definitely looking forward to seeing the 600 in the Air

Lee

Good luck on the maiden Tony. Thats beast is so stable. Looking forward to the video.

Keith

I'm looking forward to the crash...? Only joking Tony... I'm sure you will have better luck with this project...

Tony

Staff member
Sucks to lose parts and not have any fun to show. Can't wait to see video comparing these helos in size hint hint.

Haha, well I can compare the 250, 450 and 600... The 500 is going to have to stay in pieces for a while unfortunately. If you watch the last part of the build guide, I have all 4 of them sitting side by side to compare the sizes.

Cant wait till you get a decent gyro for this Beast of heli, sure does suck big time about the 450 & 500, but definitely looking forward to seeing the 600 in the Air

Eh, crashes happen. It just sucks that the 500 had so much damage for just tipping over. Stupid mistake, but I had to know where my daughter was. Small price to pay.

Good luck on the maiden Tony. Thats beast is so stable. Looking forward to the video.

Doesn't feel stable just spooling it up lmao. This beast has a sound all it's own with those huge blades.

I'm looking forward to the crash...? Only joking Tony... I'm sure you will have better luck with this project...

haha, if I crash this one, I think you will hear a grown man cry on camera lmao.

Tony

Staff member
No, she won't kick my butt, she will just straight up kill me for that one hahahahaha

Whirlybird

"haha, if I crash this one, I think you will hear a grown man cry on camera lmao. "

No . . . we'll just see the tears dropping from a head out of the picture :poke:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
man i am waiting for a video on this 600.. to see it fly.. and see a grown man cry.. lol.. jk jk!! but i do want to see it fly!

helilover2

wow tony lol well i ordered a hk600 havent gotten it yet and i have spektrum h6010 servos and align 600xl motor and the esc 80 a from align also the bec from align so will check around for a tail servo and gyo combo i also have a align rotor head and tail rotor head too so will put these on the hk600gt i dont have any instructions on how to install the bec and should i use two batteries its my first 600 build and please believe me i ve never did this before as you have said every bird is different i agree i have a hard time finding some one to help me but i read as much as i can find about these birds lol my 500 is done set up but havent tried her yet

Tony

Staff member
You can wire your BEC directly into the main wires of the ESC. No need for an extra battery pack just for the bec. If you want to run a seperate Rx pack, then get one made to be a Rx pack and forget the BEC. But the BEC is the better choice weight wise, like it makes a difference on a 600 lol.

helilover2

hi tony i tried to see your build and walk though but no luck soi wonder if you use two batteries or just one and connect the bec with the esc im trying to get my align 600 up but cant find any info on how to hook up the esc and bec please advice im using all align parts but havent gotten my gyro and tail servo yet but this friday will get them

helilover2

:peaceful:cool ok i will use 4000 mah battery my motor is align 600xl anyway thanks i flew my 500 and it was awesome good thing rons heli store had tools that helped me wow my align 450 is too senstive but i got her to hover thats all i can do for now i just got another hk600 kit so hold on to it for now

Tony

Staff member
Sorry about the bad link. I just looked on youtube and I have no idea where the build videos are for this heli. The head and tail are on there, but not the first of the build... Not sure what happened. Also, I don't think I ever shot video of how I wired the batteries, so I will try to explain it.

I used two Turnigy 6s 3000mah 20c batteries on this heli. They balanced out perfectly. I ran them in parallel so that it remained 22.2 volts (positive to positive, negative to negative). I used an adapter plug that both batteries plugged into, then the ESC plugged into the single plug on the adapter (kinda like a "Y" adapter). When you hook your BEC up, you will want to cut away a small portion of the insulation on the ESC wire that plugs into the battery and install your BEC there. Make sure that your BEC is rated for at least 26 volts, preferably more. If it's not, then you will blow it up as soon as you plug it in. Once that is done, plug the BEC into the battery port on the Rx. If you still need to bind your Rx, then you can plug the BEC into any other port, and put your bind plug into the bind/batt port. It does not matter where the power is going into the Rx for the bind process, but I would keep it in the battery port for flying just for safety sake.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know and I will bust out the white board and show what I'm talking about.

Tony

Staff member
:peaceful:cool ok i will use 4000 mah battery my motor is align 600xl anyway thanks i flew my 500 and it was awesome good thing rons heli store had tools that helped me wow my align 450 is too sensitive but i got her to hover thats all i can do for now i just got another hk600 kit so hold on to it for now

You will need more weight on the nose than a 4000 mah battery can provide. I think they suggest a 5650, but I'm not sure. Like posted above, I used two 6s 3000mah batteries in parallel and it was perfect, and cheap considering lol.

helilover2

:positive:ok thanks i got it they did say 5000 mah ok i do that im using spektrum 6010 servos and all else are up to speks from align so soon i get some pix for you all to see grin this encomney got us all

Top Bottom